Sunday, September 09, 2007

Back To The iPod

Having spent much longer on trying to download audio books to my new mp3 player, I finally gave up. It was an Insignia but it too was tied to a audio store, Rhapsody. I failed miserably and complained to G. We took it back and got another kind, also a 4 GB, Sansa by SanDisk. Before I even took it out of the package, I went back to Michele's email (and comment) about how to put the audio books in an iPod. The thing of it is, I know my iPod. There is a comfort level that I couldn't muster with these mp3's. I have 30 GB on my iPod. I had my fingers on the keyboard to email Michele and realized that she didn't send me her addy and so decided instead to print out the info she supplied and buckle down and see what it entails. It was quite a bit of stuff but as I sifted through it, there really wasn't a lot. Most of it was the reasoning behind everything and frankly, as Diane Keaton aptly said in the movie Baby Boom, 'I don't want to know where the water comes from; I just want to be able to turn on the faucet and have it come out.' And that's exactly right. I started to follow the instructions, going back to see what changes in the info I would need to make because I have the iTunes 7, rather than the iTunes 6 the instructions were for. It was very minor in changes, but I immediately clam up when I see lots of stuff to read. After all, I am an art major. Anyway (I think there should be a paragraph change in here somewhere but it's not coming to me). But so far so good; the proof will be in the actual playing of the audio books and I will give you the word after this week when I test it. I have written the steps down in my language and it's much simpler. As soon as I prove to myself that this is gonna work, I will happily share my whiddled down instructions (less than a page vs 5 pages) with you. I am feeling mighty confident tho' and Michele verified that.

So far I have put into the iPod
Peony in Love by Lisa See
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (author of Kite Runner which I loved) and am in the middle of putting in Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult (author of Vanishing Acts). I have On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan and The Far Reaches by Homer Hickam still to download. That should take awhile, although all you have to do is a couple things and then go about your business doing whatever while they download. This just may be an epithany.

3 comments:

Irene said...

I just finished Nineteen Minutes and raved about it. It really makes you think. Hope you can get everything working - maybe Bella could help? :-)

Michele said...

Tommy, Isn't it empowering when you figure it out!!! Sorry for no email addy, I assumed clickng on my name would get you there. I feel confident also that your books will be where they are supposed to be on your iPod. Yah the directions were lengthy but they get the job done.

Michele

Cindra said...

I thought you said the software was only for Macs? This is good news. I will have to watch and see because I would definitely appreciate something less time consuming than the way I currently upload.