Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Can A Girl Have Too Many Cookies?

I got to thinkin' about the holiday season and what all I have to do socially and it really isn't that much. So, I sent out a request for a day to be chosen for a bunch of us to have a cookie exchange and this is the first response I got back from the email.

"every cookie exchange I have attended...has 'sucked"....people BUY the cookies or slice the cookies...or smoked while baking the cookies
I KNOW...your cookie exchange...would not "suck" ( giggle giggle). I will attend..I like to bake......and yet, my personal opinion is...that no one in this family will eat very many cookies (they have faaaar more discipline than I)...and in years past, I have thrown as many as 400 cookies away."

I too agree whole heartedly with this opinion. I won't tell you who it is because you would think they are smarter than me for thinking up the ultimate outcome of a cookie exchange and not giving me credit for the idea myself. I was quick to jump the gun with a cookie exchange, just taking the very first thing that came to my mind to get us gals together for the holidays.

So, after a little more thought, I thought of an old idea that needs to be reserrected; decorating a Gingerbread House. I had a couple's party in the olden days that you were pared up with someone other than your spouse and we decorated houses. Now that I am committed, I need to find a sturdy recipe for gingerbread and a good house pattern. I used one that Martha Stewart had on her show a million years ago but I long since tossed it, thinking I would never use it again. Never say never. Anybody out there have a great recipe and/or pattern?

I spent the time after I got home from my gyne yesterday getting ready for a quilt show. It's a bit early as the show is in March but I have 10 entries and they need names and labels and sleeves to hang

them up from. I need to do it now before the holiday flurry makes me forget and then I will have to either haul all the quilts to Florida after the holidays or come back early to prepare them and that ain't gonna happen. I have even made labels for a couple of the quilts that aren't even finished!!! If that isn't incentive to finish them, nothin' is !!!

6 comments:

dee said...

throw away cookies...please to explain????

LYN said...

I like the idea of decorating Ginger Bread houses... Google's got to know where to find one!?

Anonymous said...

I've never made a gingerbread house, but I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures! This link looks useful:
http://www.mahalo.com/Gingerbread_House

P.S. I thought your title should be 'disheveled.' But then I looked online and was surprised how many times disshoveled pops up! So I guess it just goes to show what I don't know.

Sheila in Ohio

teri springer said...

Honey Gingerbread Cookies
Martha Stewart
Makes about 2 dozen town houses, 4 dozen deer or trees, or 6 dozen men

These gingerbread cookies include a generous amount of honey, which gives them a pale golden color and a mildly sweet flavor.

INGREDIENTS

• 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 4 teaspoons ground ginger
• 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
• 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
• 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 1 cup honey
• 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
Recipe continues below ↓
advertisement


DIRECTIONS
Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices in a medium bowl.

Beat butter and sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in honey and molasses. Reduce speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture, and beat until just combined. Divide dough into 3 portions, and wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a generously floured piece of parchment, roll dough to a scant 1/4 inch thick. Brush off excess flour. Slide dough and parchment onto a baking sheet, and freeze for 15 minutes.

Cut out desired shapes. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets, and freeze for 15 minutes.

Bake cookies for 6 minutes. Remove sheets from oven, and tap them firmly on counter to flatten cookies. Return to oven, rotating sheets, and bake until crisp but not darkened, 6 to 8 minutes more. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.

Spoon icing into a pastry bag fitted with a very small plain round tip (such as Ateco #0 or #1). Pipe designs on cookies. Let cookies stand at room temperature until set, at least 2 hours (preferably overnight). Cookies can be stored between layers of parchment in airtight containers for up to 1 week.

Go to the Today Show web site- Martha was on this morning making GB Houses. She wouldn't let Merideth put her piece on because it wasn't perfect....

teri...who loved watching the staff at the Resort @ Squaw Creek put together the GB Village (and had fun snitching pieces of GB)

Anonymous said...

Have you considered the gingerbread house kits--if you're doing multiples for a party. My girlfriends and I got together for years with our sons (we each have one)--put the houses together the day before, bought lots of extra candy, cookies, etc. to decorate. This is the time of year to take a little of the pressure off, Tommy!!
Sharon

Laura Christensen said...

I saw Gingerbread House Kits in my T J Maxx yesterday...