Friday, November 02, 2007

The Facts About Facings

We are safe and sound in the sunshine state. All the bags of things I had to have with me are all stowed (stuffed into a cubbie and out of sight) or put away where they belong. I am trying to adjust to a studio again that is separate from the house. I keep roaming back to see what G is up to. I am sure that will not last long.

Like lots of others, I have always had trouble making the corners look as close to 90° as possible on a quilt that I have used a facing around the outside rather than what I call a binding. The facing technique is not seen from the front when it is done so there is no 'framing' aspect that there is with a binding. Remembering some blog about it, I went and found the tutorial on Robin Ferrier's blog and tried it out. It worked so well that now I will give my very own tutorial on it. First off, here is the corner of the work, right side up. The facing fabric is two inches wide that has been ironed in half, wrong sides together. These strips are to be cut just short of the length of the sides; so instead of using one long strip like I do for binding, now the four sides will each have their own strip. Also needed is a two inch square that is folded together from corner to corner with wrong sides facing for each corner.
Place the corner onto the quilt top corner and place the facing strip just short of the corner and sew down to the next corner using a 1/4" seam. Put another corner triangle onto the next corner before sewing the rest of the strip (stopping just short of the corner).
Here is what it looks like when the whole corner is finished. This next photo is what it looks like
when I hold up the facing strips. This is all still on the top side of the quilt. Trim very close to the corners so you will reduce the amount of excess fabric. You then turn all of the facings to the backside of the quilt. You can either sew down the sides before turning the

triangle to the backside or do what I did; pin the sides down and then using a pokie aid (in my case I used a scissor blade) turn the triangle to the back and then you can do all the sewing down in one step.
Look at what a perfect corner I now have instead of bumbling around trying to fake a somewhat bulky 90° corner. It's a good thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Great idea! DRE in Wa

Christine Thresh said...

I'm going to try it! Thanks.

Beth in TN said...

Next to your little bag instructions, this is THE BEST thing you could have shown!!! I can do the "traditional" bound edge fine--on 3 corners of every quilt and then it seems like there's always one that is messed up. This looks SOOOO much easier and cleaner too!!! THANKS!!