Friday, December 28, 2007

Gifts To Make


I like to make some of my Christmas gifts myself. I started out with these five layer bars; similar to the seven layer bars only lacking in two ingredients. DUH.

I made a sleeve in which to put the recipe card and sewed it on three sides and added a hole punch in the top for the ribbon to go through

so it can be attached to the top rim of a quart Ball jar. Notice the ribbon. I received it as a gift several years ago and never knew what to do with it. This seemed to be the reason that I had it.

You put the pecans, butterscotch and semi sweet chips, coconut and brown sugar (in a baggie with all the air out) and it is a tight fit but they all fit in the jar. All you add at home is a stick of butter and a can of sweetened condensed milk. I just had them setting around for whenever I needed a gift.

I thought about all the times I need a little note card myself and so made some packs
of twelve for my Christmas gifts. This particular group was for my girlfriend Micky that happens to be a realtor; hence the house shape.

I bought a die cut punch for these circles. The circle measures 3/4 inch in diameter.

These were specifically for Maria, my daughter in law, that still reminds me of New Orleans and the Fleur De lis.

As you can see, I got a little hung up with the circles. I was gonna do squares and just cut them with a rotary cutter to be exact but I loved the punch and just couldn't let it rest. The shapes are cut out of card stock and used a glue stick into place on a purchased cardstock card and envelope combo that you can get in any craft store. They have colors but I opted for the white. Then I just outfitted the sewing machine with a coordinating thread color and keeping the tails of the thread long to bring up to the bottom thread, I was then able to tie into a knot and trim the threads. Then I added one of the shapes onto the envelope flap, just for a little something. They were fun to make and easy to do while watching tv, which is always a bonus.

3 comments:

zquilts said...

What absolutley wonderful ideas! I love both the recipe and the wonderful, graphic cards. Thanks so much for sharing your ideas .

Cindra said...

You are a creative genius!

Valeri said...

That is such a great idea and you do these things so well! A true professional! I love your blog...it's inspiring!