Monday, January 07, 2008

Hand Quilting - Ouch!

I don't quite know how people can hand quilt for a living. I have been doing it for two days and feel like I am drugged or in some kind of a fog. First of all, it is so inactive. When I do scrape myself off the couch to preform some bodily function, I am stiff and sore. My hips hurt as well as my backside and my knees. My fingers are all sore and arthritic and they are so dry that the fabric is getting caught on them. So why am I doing it? Well, this last challenge piece that I am doing for our guild show (this may be the last one that I will enter) in a couple months was all done by hand as far as the piecing. When it came time to start the quilting, I just couldn't machine quilt it with all that hand work already on it. The only reason there was hand work on it at all is that I couldn't figure out any other way of doing it other than doing it by hand. I figure that I have two more days of this and then I can ship it off. So in the interim, I will be stiff and bent and suffering miserably. Ouch!

This is not me or my quilt. These hands are much younger and nicer than mine. Plue, I am left handed. This sweet scenero doesn't remotely compare to the lump on the couch that mainlines coffee until (when the time is right) switching to wine. There is not enough chardonnay in the world to make me do this on a regular basis.

3 comments:

dee said...

You're so funny. I gave you a "Makes my Day" award-do with it what you will. I really look forward to seeing what you are up to. You always make it fun.

Rosy said...

hahahah...oh that killed me. I know exactly what you mean. I don't hand quilt for all those reasons.

Nadine said...

Ditto to the hand quilting. I think I only did one or two quilts by hand. Too slow, too not fun, and the necessary mainlining was killing me slowly! ;)