Tuesday, January 08, 2008

State Farm Is There

I should probably make this abundantly clear do to some misconceptions out there. I have no friends here in Florida. Oh, let me rephrase. I don't have any friends in the location I live in. The closest friend is Regina and she lives a couple hours away. It seems as tho' all my neighbors are either very old or very into other people. It's not a bad thing; we have lots of company and when we don't it's nice to just bum around and do our own thing. We do tho' have a set of wonderful next door neighbors. We just so happened to have bought our house from them and they took their vacant lot that was next to us and built a new and improved model. They pretty much built the same house all over again, which we so don't get. They are a bit older. She is 83 and he is 86. Not that you could ever guess how old they are. Anyway, I digress. This adorable couple that hails from Virginia are on my 'send them a little something' Christmas list. This year they received a tin of the Bark that was my 'go to' gift. I sent it to them in the mail and when we got down here and saw them they went on and on about the great candy.

A couple days later I opened the door to find a gift toting neighbor with a box of very heavy

Christmas Cake, Panettone, which I always considered bread rather than cake. Anyway, I am
highly suspicious of a 'cake' or 'bread' that is good for another year and a half. I guess it's like my grandmother's fruit cake that she sent up from Texas every Christmas and it was highly coveted and portioned out in very guarded slices. I never quite got that, as none of us kids really liked it but because it was revered, we thought we were getting something priceless.

This Italian fruit bread is not getting the same love. But I have decided what to do with it. When my fingers need a rest from the hand quilting today, I am going to transform this panettone into Giada's Panettone Triffle and it's going right back next door. Like a good neighbor.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen the people on Food Network make a bread pudding out of it and it looked very good. Maybe Michael Chiarella?? Mario? Giada? one of those Italian types.

Anonymous said...

Isn't Florida where State Farm "is there" if your car braks down on the interstate?
Seems I see those signs along the freeways? I'm headed back there today (flying)and I'm going to see if I remember correctly.KS

Cindra said...

I am giggling like an idiot sitting at my computer at work and the students are looking at me. Can't share this with them and it makes me giggle more. I need to learn not to read your blog during a quiet class moment. You just crack me up though.

Del said...

Yes, it will still be good in October 2008! I am fond of Panettone french toast, so I buy an extra loaf at Xmas time to use later in the year. I cut it in slices, package each slice in a Baggie and pull out as needed. But I sometimes just stick the entire box in the pantry to await my attention. The moisture content is low and I have never had spoilage.

Anonymous said...

You are going to do WHAT???

***This Italian fruit bread is not getting the same love. But I have decided what to do with it. When my fingers need a rest from the hand quilting today, I am going to transform this panettone into Giada's Panettone Triffle and it's going right back next door. Like a good neighbor.***

So you think they gifted it to you so you could make them some Giada Triffle?

That is being naughty?!?

Pleeaase Tommy, accept it with 'some' grace. Freeze it to serve to your guests at some other time.

Rosy said...

hahahah I am amused today with some writings. I am a firm believer in doing exactly what I want, when I want and how I want to do it. Tommy, you are a trip, you go girl, be creative hahahahahaha......