Thursday, March 06, 2008

Some More This And That

I've decided to give you a day off from the quilt show. A short hiatus will do you good. So, what have I been up to since I have been home?

Every body's kids are having babies so I can't make baby quilts fast enough. I restocked my stash at this last quilt show merchant mall of baby prints and patterns but haven't opened them up yet.
I found this pattern I bought at some long ago quilt show that consists of sixteen frogs and I decided to make it. I was just looking for something that I didn't have to think a lot about but just DO. Well, I was wrong about that. I had to turn off my iPod to concentrate on the LEGS!! Well, all the blocks are done and after I put the eyes on 'em, they will be ready for viewing. That will be tomorrow, I am a guessin'.


When I arrived home and went to my studio, I spied this adorable little popcorn maker. Gordon saw it at a store and thought that it would be perfect for me. Now all I have to do is buy some popcorn and try it out!!!

In getting into the dyeing mode I was trying to think of some way to cut my fabric from it's 100 meter roll that didn't involve my getting down on all fours to measure and cut it. The solution seemed to be simple; put it up like they do the home dec fabrics at the fabric store. One thing led to another and pretty soon I gave the project over to G to design and install.
A good week later. VOILA!!!Here is my new contraption. It is anchored in the studs of the ceiling (so those would be joists?) and then chains buckle onto the hardware anchored into the dowel. This picture is a little odd looking because there is a window directly behind the fabric roll and it looks funny. The only thing that falls short in this very brain intensive job is the fact that I will need to unscrew one of the pins in the dowel each time I need to change the bolt or take off the empty spool. Other than that, the apparatus is just about perfect. No more juggling with the heavy roll of PFD fabric and getting down on my hands and knees to measure and cut. I will need help with the changing of the bolts tho'. Note to self: make sure my fabric is cut and at the ready if I am left to my own devices.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neat! Tell your G to take it a step further and make it a pulley(?) system where you can lower the entire thingy either by cranking or pulling on a chain, of course, directly onto your (not yet planned)cutting table below the contraption. Clever eh! Now you will have to re-work your G.

teri springer said...

Very neat. I have a framework made of PVC pipe that originally held two bolts of stabilizer back in the day when I had my commercial embroidery business. It was too narrow for PFD so I gave it to my SIL when she bought my machine/business. Now I think I will need to make a new one- tho I like yours because it doesn't take up counter space.....

teri...in desperate need of a trip to FLA so I can hit the fabric shops in Boca Raton.