Friday, May 23, 2008

The Studio Setup

Now the studio is coming to life. I planned on spending the day on Tuesday going to furniture stores to find a reasonably priced little seating arrangement. Nothing could have surprised me more than stopping off at the first place (which seemed a bit seedy at best) and finding these little pieces on sale, in stock and deliverable the same day. I hit pay dirt. I couldn't be happier with my choice. The double ottoman came from Target and matches almost perfectly. Another bonus is that the top is hinged and can be used for storage. Yeah, just what I need; a place to cram in more STUFF. Ah well. It's what I do.
I ordered a new piece for the studio that was installed yesterday as well. It replaced the 4x8 Costco table that was full underneath as well as on top. My only issue with the whole piece is that I wanted it as a cutting table on the top but with the two windows right there, I am concerned with warping of the cutting mats with the heat of the sun. I will just have to fiddle around with that because I am not gonna keep the blinds closed forever.
Within minutes the drawers were filled with my scraps; at least four of the drawers were, that is. One is completely hand dyed scraps while the others are commercial scraps. I guess I need to get on the stick and start to make tons of scrap quilts. I just can't seem to part with any piece of fabric that is at least 2 1/2" x 4 1/2".

Geek Squad just showed up to install my new tv. The one I have now is so little in my new big studio that I can't hardly see it from my sewing machine. The old tv will find a perfect home in the new bedroom that is on top of the studio addition. Now I just have to wrap up the studio and tackle the bedroom.

The holiday is upon us. We are staying close to home. Hope you all have a great Memorial Weekend.

4 comments:

dee said...

Hope you have a great weekend as well. We have a big air show at Jones Beach and my husbands birthday BBQ on Sunday. Lots to do food and wine-wise.
The studio looks fabulous. What a great furniture find

Brenda said...

Thank you for solving my mystery. I was admiring your neat stacks of dyed fabrics but kept wondering what you do when they get cut up. Now I know...I hope settling into your revamped studio unleashes a new wave of creativity for you.

Christine Thresh said...

I kept a cutting mat in front of a sunny window for several years. It did not warp. It was flat on a flat surface.

dee said...

I meant to add that my huge Olfa cutting mat has been in front of a sunny window for two years now and it's as flat as the day I got it. My friend Terry has another kind of mat and hers warps even without being in front of a window.