Thursday, July 17, 2008

Three Layer Bars

I need your help. I am looking for a recipe that I am guessing is at least thirty years old. It is a dessert bar and it consists of a brownie type bottom layer, a powdered sugar/butter/milk/vanilla middle layer and a frosting that is smooth and shiny so it probably goes on top of the second layer while it is hot and the middle layer is cold. Otherwise the top ganache/frosting, would be dull in color.

Why? you ask, look for an old recipe while there are a million wonderful new desserts for the picking? Well, I can tell you if you want. There is an acquaintance of mine that makes just such a bar cookie. Her grown children have named these bars Funeral Bars because the mom made them mostly to take over to someones house after a loved one died. The thing that the baker always stresses is that it is very time consuming. They seem very simple and I have tried to replicate them but to the original baker, she says that I didn't get it right. Oh, I forgot to mention that this person will not give out the bar cookie recipe. It is a bone of contention around here. Everyone wants the recipe and it has become quite a joke. But I swore that I could copy them and although I have had tried and true taste testers that say my rendition is exact, the original baker is not in agreement. Therefore, I need the recipe. I am guessing that there is a secret ingredient that I am totally missing.

Hey, there is even a prize in it for you if you can get the recipe. Ask around. Look in old cookbooks. Unfortunately, most of my thousand cookbooks are more on the funky, trendy foodstuffs. I have tried the Internet repeatedly, so don't bother with that. Ask your mom, old Aunt Helen or that creepy old lady that lives across the street. I NEED YOUR HELP !!!!!! IT'S A MATTER OF HONOR.

Oh, and no coconut and no graham crackers.

6 comments:

Dorothy said...

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, try this recipe for what Canadians call Nanaimo Bars. I live in Vermont now, grew up in Southern Ontario, and had to learn how to make these when I moved here. At home, you can buy them just about anywhere.

Chill each layer well before adding the next. They take time (because of the chilling steps) but they really aren't hard at all.

Corky said...

I suspect that according to the original baker you may NEVER get it right. Good luck on the quest.

Donna said...

Hi Tommy: I believe you are talking about Nanaimo bars, quite popular here in Canada. The recipe I use is as follows:

BASE:

3/4 c. butter, softened
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
3 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 1/2 c. coconut
3/4 c. chopped walnuts

FILLING:

6 tbsp. butter, softened
1 (3 oz.) box instant vanilla pudding
3 c. sifted powdered sugar
1/3 c. milk

TOPPING:

3 tbsp. milk
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

To make Base: Place butter, sugar, cocoa, vanilla, and eggs in a large bowl; stir until well blended. Combine graham cracker crumbs, coconut, and walnuts; add to chocolate mixture. Mix well. Press firmly and evenly into bottom of a 13 x 9 inch baking pan.

To make Filling: Mix pudding and powdered sugar and add to the 6 tablespoons butter with the 1/3 cup milk. Beat until it resembles icing. Spread filling over base evenly and chill for 15 minutes.

To make Topping: Heat 3 tablespoons milk in top of a double boiler; add chocolate chips and stir constantly to make smooth chocolate. Spread melted chocolate mixture quickly and evenly over top. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Cut into 1 x 2 inch bars.

Hope this helps.

Donna said...

Hi Tommy: I believe you are talking about Nanaimo bars, quite popular here in Canada. The recipe I use is as follows:

BASE:

3/4 c. butter, softened
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
3 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 1/2 c. coconut
3/4 c. chopped walnuts

FILLING:

6 tbsp. butter, softened
1 (3 oz.) box instant vanilla pudding
3 c. sifted powdered sugar
1/3 c. milk

TOPPING:

3 tbsp. milk
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

To make Base: Place butter, sugar, cocoa, vanilla, and eggs in a large bowl; stir until well blended. Combine graham cracker crumbs, coconut, and walnuts; add to chocolate mixture. Mix well. Press firmly and evenly into bottom of a 13 x 9 inch baking pan.

To make Filling: Mix pudding and powdered sugar and add to the 6 tablespoons butter with the 1/3 cup milk. Beat until it resembles icing. Spread filling over base evenly and chill for 15 minutes.

To make Topping: Heat 3 tablespoons milk in top of a double boiler; add chocolate chips and stir constantly to make smooth chocolate. Spread melted chocolate mixture quickly and evenly over top. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Cut into 1 x 2 inch bars.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

Tommy,
I am "on it" for the recipe.....a "removed" relative of the recipe holder is going to give it to me....she is on "vacation" and it may be a week or two.

She does not know it is a secret...and I am hoping she gives me the recipe before she finds out.

such silliness, huh?
xxx

quiltzing said...

Take a look at these recipes:

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:rsy3nezE8kgJ:www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Chocolate-Layer-Bars+%22Anita+Nickless%22+recipe+bars+chocolate&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

or

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:wATYEVQeA_EJ:www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Makeover-Chocolate-Layer-Bars+three+layer+bars+-graham+-coconut&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us