Thursday, October 16, 2008

Joan Frantz

My Internet has been down for most of two days. It makes me crazy. Enough said.

Last night, when G got home he handed me the mail (we have our mail delivered to work to get around the two address thing due to living half the year in another state). As we were chatting I opened up

this journal of the International Quilt Association and was leafing through it. My eyes rested on the name of
Joan Frantz and I thought to myself, 'good for you Joan'. Then I read further and was shocked to read that Joan had died. My heart cried. I had no idea that she was even sick. After making a couple calls I found out that she died from complications due to ovarian cancer. She was only 51 years old.
This is a picture of us with Caryl Fallert at the American Quilt Museum in Paducah, Kentucky.

Joan is the fourth on the left. She was a doll. We got together in Florida and she even came for a sleep over and taught me to do gradations the way I do it now. She was very new to quilting, only having done it for a year or two when I met her back in 2004. She was a very quick study. I attended her guild show in Naples and she had lots of ribbons for her excellent work.
Joan was an eye doctor. She also raced cars. She was quite a character. I can't believe she's gone.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Unfortunately ovarian cancer has such subtle signs that most women don't even realize they have it until it is stage 3. It is known as "the silent killer". The best test that the gynocologists have is called a CA125, which is a blood test. We need to write our insurance companies to push for a CA125 as part of a woman's yearly exam profile.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your friend, taken out of life at the height of her wonderful life! I have a six monthly routine check-up but never knew of that blood test. Thanks to Karen, I am now armed with this info to face my doc at my next visit.