Friday, October 31, 2008

Houston - We Have No Problem

I registered to go to three full days of classes while here in Houston. I did this mainly because I wanted options and didn't want to find myself aimlessly roaming around while everyone I knew was in class. Yesterday I had a class called Digital Photography Printing that was taught by Mary Ellen Kranz. I figured if I got nothing out of the morning segment I would ditch the afternoon and I still hold to that premise today and tomorrow. I was perfectly happy with the morning of the class

and although the afternoon got a little out of hand, all in all, I wasn't bored stiff like I have
been in the past. My main gripe with these types of classes are that it ends up being a lectern for some of the attendees and although I am all for anyone getting their day in court, I don't wanna be on the jury when their time comes up, ya know? Here we have Mary Ellen with her devotees. I tend to never move out of my seat and never say a word. I know, you are saying that it doesn't sound like me. Well, there you have it. I learned some good things. Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 is very user friendly for downloading your photos and has more features than Picasa. It does cost tho' whereas Picasa is free and therefore, for everyday stuff, I choose it. On the other hand, if you want to manipulate your photos more, this program is for you and it costs under $100 and you can even download a free 30 day trial to see if you like it. That's what I am gonna do.
What else did I learn? That what I have been doing with Bubble Jet Set to make fabric photos is correct and that I also do not use the Bubble Jet Set Rinse and that too is okay. I learned that pigment based ink (Most Epson's) called Dura Bright Ultra is superior to dye based ink like most of the other printers usually have (like my HP). Also, pigment based ink is archival.
Fabric shield is a spray to help stop fading of digital fabric as well as painted and dyed fabric. I gotta get me some of that.
I went to the quilt show yesterday and got you a shitload of pictures. They need a bit of processing and that will take time and that's something I don't have a lot of right now. I gotta get in the shower cauz' I have another class in an hour.

1 comment:

wpritchett said...

Sounds like fun, fun, fun. I made a photo quilt and didn't use bubble jet at all. The gal at the t-shirt shop pressed the pics on for me with her hot, hot ironing machine.

Spend money like you've got it kiddo........hey, check out thread art and Angelina.....my new favorite thing to do!