Thursday, December 04, 2008

Stick To Your Ribs Food

I got this email from a dear friend and thought I would pass it on (without mentioning Frank's name).

You should have consulted your favorite asshole! I had both the colonoscopy and the endoscopy done about a year and a half ago but I did follow directions. I was scheduled first thing in the morning (late for me) and was out of there by 8am. Once they stuck the needle in me the next thing I knew it was over and I was sitting up. I've always had a slight, indigestion problem and that's why they did the endoscopy.

The big fear of having these tests is so overrated. Go get yourself one.

When I woke up on Monday morning it was as ugly as a day can get (kinda like today). It was wet and cold and windy and grey. What better description of a day to spend in the kitchen? The only drawback was a trip to the grocery store (it ended being three trips) but I bit the bullet and gathered around me enough provisions for a good ole'

cooking marathon. This is a picture of my first trip to the store. Mushrooms were quickly becoming past their prime in the fresh foods section so I bought seven pounds for $7. I love a deal. So I made my mushroom and
onion mixture. That's all it is; that and salt and pepper. I don't even add oil or Pam. The mushrooms have so much water in them that adding anything isn't necessary. I love to make tons of this and freeze in little containers. I take out to add to casseroles, soups, make quesadillas, add to fajitas, you name it. It's even good tossed in a green salad. I took out the mushrooms and onions with a slotted spoon and used the
left over liquid to use as a catalyst to get my beef chuck browned for my Brown Stew that G has been asking for.
Here's the chuck. I use my mother's recipe but have updated it and taken out any added fat. G doesn't like tomatoes in stew and so he has come to like my stew.
The meat browns nicely without a hint of added fat.
See?
In goes the onion, garlic, salt, pepper, allspice, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, paprika and water.
This simmers for two hours and then I add pearl onions, carrots and potatoes. They cook and then I take the veges out and thicken up the liquid with a touch of corn starch
added to cold water. It is a simple but real satisfying stew. I make lots and freeze it in individual portions.
I also made my chili and it too went into the freezer to pop out at a moment's notice. I spend as much time
looking for the bay leaf in the chili as I do making it. I am sure that's because of the color and my chili has lots of green pepper in it. I have to really hunt around to find them. In my stew, they are very obvious being the only thing that is green in the whole concoction.

G asked for chicken barley soup. I did some looking around and came up with a Three Bean Soup w/ Turkey Meatballs. The meatballs consisted of bread that had been soaked in milk and then squeezed out added to ground turkey,
eggs, pine nuts, golden raisins, parsley and onions. After this has been formed into balls, it is rolled in flour (lightly) and pan fried. Next time I am going to try to bake them instead.
They turn out very lovely and if you don't crowd the pan, they hold together very nicely(learned the hard way).
The soup is made up with beef stock, celery, onion, carrot, kidney beans, barley, lentils and roman beans (of which I have never heard of).
This is a picture I have from online. I wish I would have looked it up before I went to the store the first time. This is what was said about the roman bean:

Roman bean = cranberry bean = borlotti bean = saluggia = shell bean = salugia bean = crab eye bean = rosecoco bean = fagiolo romano Notes: These have an excellent, nutty flavor, and are commonly used in Italian soups and stews. Substitutes: fresh cranberry bean OR tongues of fire beans (very similar) OR cannellini bean OR Great Northern bean OR pinto bean OR chili bean.
I settled for Great Northern.

The turkey meatballs were added and made a spectacular sight. I have no idea how it tastes because all this cooking was going on when I couldn't eat, so no tasting. I can't tell you how many times food was going to my mouth and I had to stop it. Goes to show me how much that goes into my mouth that I am not even aware of.

Gordon served as taster and said it was very very excellent. Something different. It's much more like a stew than a soup. It is very hearty and has a sweet touch that is totally unexpected but perfect (his words).

4 comments:

dee said...

Those meatballs sound delicious. I will have to try that. We live on soup in the winter. Everyone loves it and there are so many recipes that are great and easy.

Cindra said...

Sounds and looks wonderful.

Sheila in Ohio said...

What a yummy post! I love the sound of those meatballs. Doesn't the coating come off when you throw them in the beans though?

Cindra said...

I didn't remember this entry when I discovered the show with the 3 bean soup with turkey meatballs. I made it and it is wonderful. I used Navy beans instead of the Roman and it was delicious.