Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Custom House

I'm back from Key West. We had a blast, even if it wasn't the best weather. We saw lots and did lots. I'll share a bit, okay?
This is the Custom House of Key West and it was built in the late eighteen hundreds. It is a sight to behold, especially how it sits on the magnificent grounds surrounding the newer additions of Key West. It now houses the Key West Art and Historical Society. There is art inside and out. For now, let's check out the outside art.
This new addition to the front is a monster sized King Lear that was just recently installed. It has to be two or three stories tall.
When I first looked at it I immediately thought of something sinister. I viewed it both during the
day and at night and it almost completely changes it's look with the loss of light. I keep
having this flash of Johnny Depp when I look at it. Maybe it's the eyes. After all, he did wear a lot of makeup in Pirates. American Gothic was the sculpture that was in this exact place before and prior to that were a southern couple dancing.
This is a life sized sculpture of Ernest Hemingway done by the same artist as King Lear, J. Seward Johnson, and all of the following work, if I am not mistaken.
The guy is a sculpture; the babe in red is not. That would be my pal Maggie, hamming it up. This would make a cute quilt, eh?
This photo doesn't do this work justice but here is a close up that may give you a better idea of the
detail. He paints just like me; assuming that an apron or crummy clothes are not needed. It's just a way to add more clothing to your crummy pile !!
This young lass is sitting nearby watching the work while enjoying a sandwich.
Here's that Maggie again; gossipping as usual. She was very excited at first when she saw this lady at the table; she wanted her cards read. I had to point out that she was, first, not real and second, there were no cards in sight. Sometimes I wonder how people get along without me. hummm.
This couple could have just stepped off the sidewalk of Greenwich Ave. in Connecticut.
I actually like this view of them better. Very yuppie. Do they have matching sweaters on? How cute is that?
This may be my favorite. The first time we went by it there was a group taking pictures and a girl was leaning up to the guy, giving him a light. Of course, the battery in the camera I had was exhausted so I couldn't take a picture of that scene. Priceless.
Here's a closeup of the garbage. J. Seward Johnson is a very good sculptor. There were tons more and some I photographed and some I didn't. I'll show you more tomorrow.

11 comments:

Cindra said...

We have quite a bit of his work around our town. Not as unusual as these, but I agree, he's wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Your friend is a dead ringer for the former Tammy Faye Bakker.

dee said...

His work is startling. I've admired it for years in magazines but never seen any close up. Thanks Tommy and thanks to the lovely Maggie for playing along.

Corky said...

Very cool stuff that I didn't know even existed. I knew I was getting an education from reading blogs!

Anonymous said...

***Your friend is a dead ringer for the former Tammy Faye Bakker.***

WHO SAID THAT??? Naughty naughty LOL....

Well actually, I was going to ask what happened to her face? Did she get a face-lift then had to Botox her lips? Very sad indeed........

Anonymous said...

Oh, couldn't help it. Her is what she looked like in the end. Maggie be warned!

http://www.americanautotroph.com/images/lj/Tammy_Faye_Baker.jpg

Anonymous said...

Hey, Anonymous #1 & 2 didn't your parents ever teach you if you can't say nice things about people, especially the ones you don't even know, don't say anything at all? Ahhh, I guess not. Shame on both of you.

maggie z. said...

ok, hellooo, its me maggie, and no- i haven't had a facelift,botox or any of the above.. i'm au natural at 59- deal with it!

maggie zakka said...

hellooo, it's me maggie... and no i haven't had botox/facelift or any of the above... i'm au natural at 59.. deal with it.. what do you look like??

KateKwiltz said...

King Lear had been on Michigan Avenue in Chicago for almost a year and then disappeared -- what a wise man to go south for the winter! It always felt as if his eyes were following me when I walked home from work! All the same, I've missed him...

KateKwiltz said...

and now we've got "American Gothic" in his place! Didn't those two get the short end of the stick, stuck up here in the bitter cold while Lear works on his tan?