Saturday, January 10, 2009

Hope Springs

G and I went on our first double date in Florida. We started to come down for the winter in 2000. That's a long time to not meet another couple and gain friendship enough to go out with them. There are many reasons for that. Mainly it's G and me. We have so many friends coming and going that we have never made an attempt to acquire new friends. Plus, I do my own work when we have 'down time'. Well, that has all changed this season. I have done three things this past week that I have never done down here before. Having a neighbor drop by/ and visa versa, going to have a fun afternoon with a glob of clay and the culmination last night of picking up another couple and heading out to a restaurant. I guess you could say that we are all growed up.

When Genie and Kelly left on Thursday I headed to an artist's house with three other 'new' friends (the friendship started at Doggie Park) to play with clay. Literally. We arrived at this very eccentric cottage with $10 each. After waking up our 'instructor' (this was at 3 p.m.) she dolled out a clump of new clay and distributed some tools to each of us and we went to work. I had no idea what to expect and so had no preconceived idea of what would take place. We just decided what we were gonna make. I only wish I had my camera but I am going back next Thursday and will share some of the craziness with you. Good craziness, believe you me. I made a couple fish and tried to make Bill Slowsky (the turtle on the DSL vs cable commercials). They are still there and if they make it in the kiln without blowing up, I will see them fired next week.

Yesterday was very hectic. Bella had been acting very odd for a couple days and I figured out that she had an ear infection. Like I said to G, she should have written as much on her little forehead in maker because it got to be so obvious. It must have been bothering her for several days. I felt horrible for her and immediately called the second the vet opened and had her there before noon and diagnosed and medicated. She still hid all day yesterday but at least she is on the mend.

Then I decided to finish up the quilt I was making and photograph it and fill out all the paperwork and try and do all this in time for a deadline for a spring show. The quilt got finished but without my computer and a printer it took several hours to get the paperwork done. The picture of the quilt was eventually made at Office Depot. What a wreck I was !!! For better or worse, it is sent in. I never even got to see the finished picture (G did it for me) so I don't know what it looked like. Oh well, it's done. And here is the quilt.

It's called 'April Showers' and is 46 x 36. I decided last week to get some incentive to start a quilt so I found the closest deadline (January 13) and it is for a show called 'Celebrate Spring'. It's a long shot of getting in (IQF Chicago) but it got me started on the creative side. I added the Obama on the shirt (I told G I was gonna put Old Navy on it) and it was G's suggestion, due to the almost frantic fans for the incumbent. So, my take was April Showers and Hope Springs Eternal for Obama. It's a stretch for me but it's done and now I am gonna start another quilt.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This quilt is so cool!!! Everyone can have 'an opinion' about it. Love the idea, wouldn't have dreamt that after the first showing of the background, this is what the finished quilt would look like.

Working under time restraints sometimes produces fabulous results.

Happy mending to Bella!

Cindra said...

I love the intricate simplicity of it! Does that make sense?

dee said...

It's wonderful. The mosaic background is so beautiful. Cindra's right it's complicated and simple at the same time. Good Job Tommy!
Hugs to the little darling. Sorry she's not feeling so well. They do recover pretty fast though.

Linda M. Poole said...

What a fabulous quilt! I love your design. Thank you for sharing it. I have added you to my blog roll, would you like to link with me?
www.lmpoole.blogspot.com