Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The Stuff Of Dyeing

I put my photo card from the camera into Picasa two hours ago and they just now showed up in my March2009 folder. I am having a heap of trouble with the downloading process of Picasa. It has been better since I reinstalled but it still is giving me crap.

Dyeing the way I do takes a lot of salt. G went to fetch me some more yesterday but they were out of stock. That may be because I cleared the shelves of the pickling salt last week. I will have to go out on the prowl for more. I am set with urea but may run out of soda ash especially
considering all that ends up on my floor. For the life of me I don't understand why I keep the ash solution across the dye room from the washer. Oh, I know, it weighs a ton because I mix it in a full five gallon bucket. I could probably lift it but if I spilled it, I would just have to move (out of town, that is). It's actually pretty disgraceful when I look around and see what a pig sty I dye in. I do have this picture of a relatively clean workspace. Once a day (except for the floor) I wipe the surfaces clean because if I don't I start contaminating the colors.

I was so sick of the dye powder taking so long to get into my bottles with the small holes of the dollar store funnels that I went out to the garage and cut the bottoms off so the hole would be bigger. No more sticking something in to get the powder to MOVE.

4 comments:

Claire O'Connor said...

Oh darn about Picasa! I wass hoping you had figured out THE solution!

Anonymous said...

A couple of years ago your blog post about dyeing inspired me to take dyeing classes with Carol S. Now when I read about your dyeing adventures I always wonder how many people will be inspired to take a class.

Did you get any good browns?

Bee

Carol S said...

The deep colors are luscious. I had to laugh when I saw your funnels. I did the same thing a year or so ago! Now they work great! (Hi Bee!)

Carol S said...

Just remembered one more thing.....If there are any feed stores in FL, try one of those for salt. Ask for plain granulated......

I know, you are probably cracking up at the idea of a feed store in your part of FL....