Thursday, April 23, 2009

Check It Out

Wow. It seems like it's been forever since I was on the computer. We have had issues that needed to be professionally resolved last night. Then to add insult to injury, I came into the studio to hop on the computer only to dump a whole commuter mug of coffee (almost double a regular cup) on my laptop while trying to shuffle through the various cords that were once not exposed and are now threatening to strangle me. Lesson learned? The Macbook is pretty resilient to caffeine.

Maria and Peter arrived back in Chicago yesterday without a hitch. It was fun having them. Maria and I hit the beach for shells one morning and found
a sea urchin, or at least that's what I thought it was. It was quite a find until we went a bit farther and found
another, and another. They were grouped relatively together for some reason.
When we got home I put water in a bucket and put bleach in them and we dropped the disgustingly smelly urchins in. Maria was totally fascinated with the little creatures.
The spikey things came off relatively easily. Upon further inspection, Maria found out that they had these teeth that were in the center hole of the shell.
We thought they might be alive because these teeth were showing at times but then realized that they were water logged and that made the teeth 'float' to the opening.
They were fun to play with. We got tons of different shells and only two sand dollars. Last time I went, I got tons of them. It may be the tide, the time, or whatever. I just enjoy the hunt.
Fishing was again tried with a little success. Maria caught this fish that G held for the photo op before releasing him.
The hope of fresh fried fish for dinner did not come to pass. We settled on a restaurant.

Question of the day. What's this? There were lots of them on the beach and it's the first time that they caught our eye. They are kinda soft but not; kinds spongy but not; unattractive. The sizes of them ranged from an inch wide to about two and a half inches. Any ideas?

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Those things look crazy! Wish I could have been there with all of you. Looking forward to seeing you soon.