Saturday, May 16, 2009

Celery Root Bisque

Okay, so it doesn't look like much but I am here to tell you that this Celeriac Bisque is the bomb. I tend to be lazy about typing out recipes for the blog but I will make an exception because you will love this.

Celery Root Bisque
Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients
1/4 c. (1/2 stick)butter
1 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. coarsely chopped shallots (3 large)
2 lb. celery roots (celeriac), peeled, woody parts trimmed and discarded, cut into 1/2 in. cubes
(about 5 1/2 c.)
1 10 oz. russet potato, peeled, cut into 1/2 in. cubes
5 c. low salt chicken broth
1 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme

1/4 c. whipping cream
Additional chopped fresh thyme

Preparation
Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add celery and cover and cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add shallots; saute uncovered 3 minutes. Stir in celery root cubes and potato, then broth and 1 1/2 t. thyme. Increase heat to high; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 40 minutes. Cool slightly.

Working in batches, transfer soup to blender and puree until smooth. Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate.

Stir cream into soup and bring to simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with additional thyme.

Okay, that's the recipe. Here's how I did it. I didn't have enough celery root so I used 2 c. of regular celery to make up the difference. I didn't have thyme so I forgot that. It tastes perfect without any s and p or cream. If you really wanted to make a better looking soup, I'd add the cream but why add the calories when it's great without. I even bought the cream so that wasn't the issue. Even with low sodium broth, it's seasoned naturally enough.

We are once again visited with a loving couple that has decided to build the nest in the joists of our deck right off our bedroom. This is what we have collected from two birds in less than two weeks since I have been back home. They fly away when they see me, and perch in a nearby tree and literally watch me set up the ladder and (with latex gloves on- I am still a woos) and take down their nest. They then spend the better part of a day looking for the nest. I heard them this morning (they can be very noisy) but don't see a nest yet. It's been a couple days since I took the last one and it takes those couple days for them to realize that the old nest is not going to reappear any time soon. I give these tiny little birds credit. They are about five inches tall and have a fierce work ethic. If they would just stop waking us up and making a mess on our deck, I would let them stay. I wonder why they come back, year after year when I relentlessly take their nests away. Not the sharpest tool in the shed, I guess. Oh, did I mean them or me?

No comments: