Sunday, May 17, 2009

Full Circle

This is another piece that I have been working on. I started it at the Barn but didn't get real far
on it due to wasting my time on a monstrosity that ended up being crap . So, I came home and decided to finish it.
In this photo the sixteen blocks are sewn but they are not together. I decided to quilt each of the sixteen components individually so it would be easier to manage. When I finished the first one I realized that it was flimsy. I didn't like the end product so I decided to strengthen it. For the first piece, because it was already quilted, I took fusible featherweight interfacing and ironed that on the back. I then ironed on fusible wonder under and then ironed another piece of backing fabric on. This seemed to work so for the other 15 squares I made up the top,interfacing, wonder under and backing (oh, and the batting - warm and white) prior to the quilting.
That was a bit time consuming but it saved the quilt. Yesterday I sewed all the blocks together. They are not all perfectly square or the same size but that was the plan. It measures around 73" x 75" (yeah, it's a biggie). I have named it 'Full Circle'.
Here's a closeup but you can click on the main quilt and get all the closeups you want. It was fun to do.

9 comments:

Cindra said...

I love the quilting on it! And I am always a fan of polka dots! This is wonderful.

Judi said...

I love it! You did an awesome job on designing and quilting it.

dee said...

Really wonderful-the quilting is so cool. Love the dots.

Teresa said...

Beautiful! I love the composition and I love the quilting!

Candied Fabrics said...

This is great! Love the quilting, and that its smaller pieces all put together (like those little people you did) How do you end up putting the whole composition together and hanging it? Inquiring minds need to know!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I like the zz stitching you used to join the blocks, it gives them defined lines amd a structural look. I also like that you take the time to stitch your blocks (even though the patterns are modern), some would fuse, which has its place, no doubt. I just like the pieced work.

Now I wish I'd won the lottery last weekend so that I could purchase it! LOL.

Melody said...

It's huge!!! Amazing.

anne said...

Tommy, it looks wonderful! Im glad you finished it. I just got home and when my bags get here I plan on finishing mine too!
Anne

Jane said...

Tommy - I love, love the way you have quilted this and particularly like the energetic wavy color blocks. I haven't done a thing with my composition, but have gotten more ideas (still working on speeding up that processing time :) - Jane (from the barn)