Saturday, May 09, 2009

The Mother's Season

It's the start of the Mother's Day weekend. I am heading into the big city (Chicago) and it's a perfect day for it; blisteringly windy, at least here in Indiana. I am driving to the city and G is meeting me later by taking the train. He has some sort of golf thing that he wants to do, and anyway it's girls only for lunch. I am lunching at an upscale grocery store with my two gals, Maria and Maggie, and we were invited by my pal Linda and her two gals, Elizabeth and Melissa. I then plan to hit the Apple Store to see about signing up for classes on the computer. Rumor has it that for $99 you can have one on one for a year. I tried to locate the info online but I was not successful so I thought I would stop by the store. It's only a few blocks from the hotel we stay at anyway.

We will be dining with the kids, and maybe a kid friend or two. I miss all the young folk and I am sure they miss me.... ha ha.

Tomorrow at the crack of dawn (okay, 7 a.m.) my girls and I are doing a Walk To Empower; it's a breast cancer walk and Maggie's friends coordinated a team to participate in it. It is in honor of a very dear high school friend who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. I am proud to honor her and Mother's Day is a perfect day to do it.
This newest piece is done. No, your eyes aren't in need of adjustment; it is an irregular piece. I have named it 'Cross Your T's' and it is 46" x 45". It has a facing and was machine quilted on a Janome. That is my current favorite for quilting. For piecing I would never trade my Viking. With no take up lever, it is fast and efficient. I didn't realize that there could be such a difference in machines until I had two different kinds. I was always a Bernina girl but after having these other brands, I would never go back.
Here is a close up. I changed the thread color four times; two dark blues and white and baby blue. It was fun and I love the piece.

Happy Mother's Day.

10 comments:

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

I love it too.
K

dee said...

I really like this piece Tommy. It's wonderful.
Happy Mother's Day

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Have fun in Chicago! I love that city and do not get there enough.

Love the black and white along with the quilting. Great layout!

Judi said...

Great piece. I love it. Happy Mother's Day. It's been a while since I spent time in Chicago moved from Hammond 19 years ago.

Anonymous said...

I like your piece, very much! I'll be buried with my Berninas.....all xxx number of them...lol....I like the older Pfaffs for piecing too and would never go near a Husq.

Walk for me and my family and siblings too.....do. Lost my sis who was only 31 to an extremely aggressive type of the disease. We miss her so.

I think I'll try to knock off your quilt (my version) for mothers' day, since it is MY time...in honor of my sis.

Anonymous said...

I like your piece, very much! I'll be buried with my Berninas.....all xxx number of them...lol....I like the older Pfaffs for piecing too and would never go near a Husq.

Walk for me and my family and siblings too.....do. Lost my sis who was only 31 to an extremely aggressive type of the disease. We miss her so.

I think I'll try to knock off your quilt (my version) for mothers' day, since it is MY time...in honor of my sis.

maggie z. said...

t~girl, this is a wonderful piece, i love the crosses- did you maybe have g in mind?! have a fantastic "mother'sday" with everyone and know i wish i were there too!!! big hug, maggiez.

Cindra said...

Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

Serena said...

Love your quilt!! Just beautiful and what a lovely family you have! Happy Mother's Day!

Candied Fabrics said...

Lovely! And the quilting really suits it!