Saturday, June 13, 2009

Bird Watching

I have turned into a bit of a bird watcher of late.  My two crazy little birds who I have already posted their first three nests are still at it.  The first nest is in the bottom of the pic and very powerfully structured (with lots of bird shit).  The second is on the top right and then the left where they get less technical and more loose formed.
Bird nest lodging is nothing new here but it's now become a bit of a joke.  We have the two dumbest birds ever.  They have, in the last month, constructed not the original three (which led me to construct a couple shelves in the screened in porch to hold them)
but number 4 is a thing of beauty complete with some dryer lint and an egg.  Number 5 may
have been retrieved hastily because the bottom still was incomplete and you can see through it.
Number 6, which we removed from our decking yesterday is much more solid but still hastily put together.  I love when they put in the fresh greens.  

It's not that I have anything against birds because I don't.  I just do not want them nesting on my deck, making a royal mess and making an even more hated, racket from dawn to dusk.  I am hoping that six nests at the same location will teach them to go elsewhere.  At least for this year.
Another animal type came to my attention when Mike and I went to the Humane Society yesterday to give them some much needed treats and things.  This crazy cat fell asleep in the carpeted play climby thing  in the main gazebo of the cat room.  The picture is taken through a screen so it's a little fuzzy but you get the idea.  It's probably pretty comfortable.I literally walked away from the computer to get more coffee after posting this and as if I were seeing a mirage, there is the male nutty bird back, staking out his territory.  Not the sharpest tool in the shed, eh?

2 comments:

Cindra said...

I love the coloring of the bird. Aren't the nests with the greenery very decorative? Maybe they love your style Tommy! You've got a great home and they recognize it. It's superb for people watching and their friends are all envious... so what if they have to give up the idea of a family and children....it's the idea of living next to you.

Corky said...

Tomme, this has nothing to do with today's post, but when I saw this photo on Awkward Family Photos I thought of you and Bella.

http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/2009/06/11/byolwd/

or tiny url:
http://tinyurl.com/l9x7ef