Monday, June 08, 2009

There Will Be No Gas

Have you ever had barbecued cabbage? It's pretty darn good.  First you saute onions and bacon together.  I bought turkey bacon and mainly for the fact that I was cooking for heart attack boy, Bill.  While that is cookin' you drop a head of cabbage in boiling water and leave it there for 20 to 30 minutes to par boil it.  
About 20 minutes before you want to serve it, you cut out the core and more because that's where the sauteed mixture goes.  If I had it to do over again, I would take a lot more of the cabbage out.  I had leftover bacon/onion and frankly, the cabbage needs it.  Add some barbecue sauce to the mix and fill up the core hole.  
You make a foil ring for the cabbage to set on and grill it; again, about 20 minutes .
An average sized cabbage head will serve four nicely.
I also made ratatouille.  Along with the grilled asparagus, it was pretty much a vege dinner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM! sounds (and looks)delicious. I'll definitely try that cabbage thing!
pjn

dee said...

Wow that sounds terrific. ANything with bacon(meat candy)is automatically fabulous...even cabbage. Grilling season is my fav. It's so easy to eat well. My Irish boys would only have one comment...where's the beef??I could easily exist on the veg but they are confirmed carnivores. They'll happily eat the veg as long as there's some meat coming down the pike. When we were first married I tried a vegetarian meal and I can still remember the look of horror on the faces of the McDonald men.