Tuesday, September 15, 2009

China Girl 8 - Great Wall Of China

I have actually consented to join a bowling team. I explained that I am not here through the winter but that didn't seem to matter. All I know is they meet on Tuesdays at 11:30 for lunch at the bowling alley (with which I took a pass; lunch before noon is just odd) and play at 12:30. I plan to meet up with them then. Oh, and I am to wear pearls. Hmmmmm.

One of the highlights to me was seeing the Great Wall of China. I was at a fund raiser last night and we were swapping stories of those of us who have been to Asia and I realized that I should have done my homework on the places that we visited, and in a bit more detail than the current Fodor's. I think that my appreciation would have gone up substantially. I remember from my old school days that the Great Wall

is one of the Wonders of the World. It is certainly a popular tourist attraction and while I was there it appeared that most of the visitors were Chinese.
The sight of the wall is, if not breathtaking, than at least unbelievable. It goes as far as the eye can see.
Even such a world known attraction is not free from graffiti.
These are the battlements and I am guessing that they were to defend the wall from those that were not permitted on the other side.
To see a sign like this on such an old structure is weird. The wall is over 2000 years old; and I was there !!!!
Here I have my model showing just how small these battlement openings were. I think, with all the modeling experience I gave Jayne, she could be ready for the Price is Right.

There are many spots where the wall is so worn that it has to be covered up to preserve the original stone. You have to really watch your step because it is worn to different levels and it is easy to stumble. There are parts that are steps and parts that are ramps. Jayne and I walked pretty far down the path but didn't want to wander too far away from our base camp because we were on our own on the wall.

We got stopped a lot to have our picture taken with various groups and individuals. We couldn't communicate but that didn't seem to matter. They just like a westerner in a photo every now and then.
Posing is one of the things I could not get over. Everywhere in China you can look and see someone posing for the camera. I had Jayne here reenact some of the more popular poses. The 'peace' sign is also very popular to use in photo shoots. Almost any picture that I have where there are people you can see, if not off to the side, someone is posing. Very big in China. And the people passing these posers are very respectful and do not ruin the shot by walking in front of the camera.

1 comment:

diane said...

The Great Wall of China is not one of the original Seven Wonders of the World. It was just recently named one of the "New" Seven Wonders of the World, along with places like Machu Pichu, Petra (Jordan), the Christ the Redeemer in Rio. The originals are mostly gone with the exception of the pyramids. Can you tell I've been reading National Geographic for years??? :~)