Monday, October 26, 2009

Blogger Bull

Wow, I was uploading images in today's blog and got this notice from Blogger that I was over my limit.

We're sorry, but you have exceeded your photo upload quota. For more information, check out this Blogger help page.

The blogger help page says this:

Free storage space is specific to each product. Picasa Web Albums offers 1 GB of storage for photos and videos only. Gmail provides 7.3 GB (and counting) which is reserved just for Gmail messages. Free storage from one product cannot be used by or transferred to another product.

All photos posted to Blogger are included in the 1 GB of free storage allotted to Picasa Web Albums.
Paid Storage

When you run out of free storage for any product, you can purchase additional storage that is shared between products. This shared storage can be used for Picasa Web Albums uploads, Gmail messages or a mix of both - it will be used by any product that's over its free storage quota on a first-come, first-served basis. Choose from the following storage plans:

10GB - $20/yr
40GB - $75/yr
150GB - $250/yr
400GB - $500/yr


This the first I have ever heard about this. Has anyone else out there had experience with this? I am quite confident that I have not posted more than I normally do. I am confused and have to deliberate about this today before I take any action and may like to hear from others that know about this.

So the pictures you don't get to see are from this weekend. I neglected to blog over the weekend because Thursday I came down with a cold and because I had company for the weekend, I took Benedryl at bedtime to help with the drip down my throat. I normally get up before the company does, which gives me blogging time but under the influence of drugs I slept later than normal and the days started a bit differently than normal. Anyway, what started out with four for the weekend ended up being two, due to other plans and illness. I still have a cold but thankfully, it never got any worse than a little cough and the drip drip drip which makes me crazy. My sister Mike got the flu.

I have to take Bella in to get her hair done.

6 comments:

dee said...

you're the third person I read today that is complaining about Blogger glitches. One had her blog completely vanish for a while. I've been having problems that I assumed are with my computer but now I wonder if it's more Blogger crap.
Another person said she hasn't been able to post and keeps getting weird messages regarding that.
I guess if it doesn't get better, a switch to another server is a possibility.
Hope you're feeling better soon. Everyone here is sick as well and since they are all men...the whine-factor is high-my patience is fading fast.

SandyQuilts said...

I don't upload my photos to blogger. I use Windows Live Writer sometimes. I mostly upload to webshots and use the Link It to my blog. That way my photo storage amount doesn't count.

Times are getting tough and I figured somthing like this would eventually come our way.

Melody Johnson said...

I did have this same message about two years ago this August. I bought the extra storage for $20. I is worth it.

sophie said...

I knew about the limit and worry that the group blog I started will bump into it soon.

For my personal blog, I host my photos on FLICKR. It's very easy to pull them into Blogger. But, if you know and love the features of Picasa, I would agree with Mrs. Mel, and advise you to spring for the $20. WebShots is another popular option. Go with what feels easiest to you, knowing that you will likely end up with a for-pay option, because you are a visual person and like to share your images with others . . . and we like it, too.

Cindra said...

Most of the blogger websites have a limit. When you think about what we get for free, I guess it isn't that big of a deal to pay a little. I do resize most of my photos before uploading just to save on space.

Brenda said...

The photo storage limit is not a new thing on Blogger and, while this may not help you right now, the best way to deal with this is to resize images before putting them online. Many people upload images straight from their camera to their blog. This practice will chew up any storage limits and is reader unfriendly as large, multi-MB images take an age to open up. There are still a lot of people in the world on dial-up or low capacity broadband connections.