Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sweet Stuff

I was more than a little surprised to see hundreds of wind turbines pop up out of nowhere in central Indiana when going to and from class. Literally, they were not there in May when I passed through on the same route. Hundreds of them.

I had my camera at the ready and snapped off a bunch of pictures of them. They are amazing. It appears that they have a screen on them and I am guessing that it is for solar energy. I am gonna do some reading on this. The closest exit to most of them was Fowler, Indiana.

I got nothing done yesterday when I got home that I thought I would. I needed to spend quality time with the baby girl so I did just that!! She was excited to see me for five minutes and then proceeded to go and chew on a bone. I had the car full of sewing things and a bunch of food and majorly large things from Costco because I spied one on the road home. I am having a bridal shower for my darling niece today with the welcome assistance of my sister Mike. Fourteen women call for lots of salad stuff. I will be doing the last minute stuff this morning before heading to the suburbs.

When I was in Chicago last weekend for the wedding, we took a side trip to the Crate and Barrel Outlet. I picked up some very cheap Marimekko fabric (originally $32 down to $4.95 a yard - 54 wide) and this cookbook caught my interest.
Maybe because the day was cold and rainy, but it appealed to me so of course I had to have it.
I came across this wonderful concoction and decided to make it. It's called Banoffee Cupcake. It consists of a banana cupcake that has chunks of caramels inside) then it is topped with whipping cream, dulce de leche, bananas and another tiny dollop of whipping cream. Instead of purchasing the spanish caramel sauce I decided to make it myself (or as close as I can come to replicating it).
Take a can of sweetened condensed milk and place it in a saucepan and pour boiling water over it to cover the whole can. I kept another pan full of boiling water also to top off the water when it came close to lowering past the can top.
The can boils for three hours and then you let cool completely (I did it last night and left it on the counter all night) before
opening it up to this delectable caramel sauce. Okay, so there's a couple of finger marks in this top. They're not mine!!!!

2 comments:

SpikeMuffin said...

Fowler's a good name for that place. I wonder how many birds they kill each month.

Gerry said...

I guess my question is - - - - why doesn't the tin can of sweetened condensed milk explode????