Monday, November 16, 2009

Citrus Sunday

I was so mad yesterday morning when I went to blog that I just couldn't do it. Somehow, which I don't think has ever happened before, I lost pictures on my camera. I specifically went out of my way to meet up with girlfriends for lunch and a hunt for a spotting of anything having to do with a Rockefeller girl getting ready to marry the son of the Secretary of Health and Human Services, Kathleen Sebelius, later in the day. We were very lucky because when we went into a spa, to find the perfect polish for a toe touchup, there was the bride and her mother, getting their nuptial hair done. Then, as luck would have it once again, we stumbled onto the room where the happy couple were to get tied. It was a beautiful room, all white except for the flowers. The aisle arrangements as well as all the other flowers in the room were dark green with a tiny bit of white. It was lovely. You will have to take my word for all of this because, as I stated before, there were no pictures of this. Enough said.

So, onto my yard. I have a key lime tree, a meyer lemon, ruby red grapefruit and a naval orange tree. I decided to harvest some of the fruit. First off, key lime.
I never did learn whether you should harvest the little limes when green or yellow, but I have done both and they all taste the same to me.
I prepared them
and juiced them in my wonderful juicier that my girlfriends got me a couple years ago. It was time to make a pie.

Key Lime Pie
Prepare a graham cracker pie crust. I make my own but you can easily buy it pre made. This crust needs to then be baked in a 350º oven for 8 minutes. Then off to the refrig to cool.
I can't stand a skimpy pie so I double the pie mix to go to the top. This is my doubled recipe.
Beat 12 egg yolks.
Add 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk. Beat.
Add 2/3 cup key lime juice. Beat,
Sweeten to taste (the limes can be very tart). I use Splenda.
Pour into prepared crust.
Cook in a 350º for 30 minutes or until the center is set.
Cool and refrigerate.
This particular picture looks like the pie is in jail. It's my new oven and it is spotless.
At service time, prepare whipping cream to top it off and EAT!

I also juiced 9 meyer lemons to make fresh lemonade. There was a lot of pulp that I strained out. With the help of a dinner guest we concocted the potion. Adding water and Splenda in varying amounts we came up with a drink that tasted much more like fresh squeezed grapefruit. I had to check the tag on the tree to see that I did indeed make it with lemons. Hey, if nothing else, we have the makings of some mighty fine greyhounds. As the saying goes, when life gives you lemons, yadda, yadda, yadda.

No comments: