Thursday, December 31, 2009

Crazy Food

Happy New Year's Eve!!!!

I was just looking at some emails and checked out a link out of three that Dee sent me and thought these two recipes sounded so funny that I decided to make them today for a very informal New Year's Eve party tonight.

Here's the link.
I have left in some of the banter of the web hostess.

Goobersnap

My son thought we should make this recipe. Really he did…until he was in the middle of a video game and IN A MOOD. We ended up doubling the corn muffin mix (maybe-how many ounces is a box of Jiffy). The peanuts didn’t get chopped. The butter was doubled. Son forgot to double the cheese and no idea if the garlic salt made it in.

However, it is strangely yummy.

1 8-oz package corn-muffin mix
1 cup coarsely chopped salted peanuts
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon garlic salt
3 tablespoons butter or margarine

Prepare corn-muffin mix according to package directions; spread evenly in well-greased 15 1/2 x 10 x1 -inch jelly-roll pan (cookie sheet that has sides folks). Sprinkle with peanuts, cheese, and garlic salt. Drizzle butter over top. Bake in moderate oven (375) for about 25 minutes or till crisp and lightly browned. Immediately cut in squares. Cool slightly, remove from pan.

Better Homes and Gardens Holiday Cookbook 1959

Red Hot Jello


Magpie’s comment to my pie disaster caused me to look for the red hot jello recipe. It doesn’t appear to be here. How can that be? It is the family FAVORITE. Even the vegetarian child who knows gelatin has animal products in it makes an exception here. It is his ONLY exception.

I have eaten this since a child and served it on holidays my entire life. This was the last food requested (and I believe the last meal eaten) by a woman whose child I cared for as her nanny. She passed away in her early 40s from breast cancer after a horrible last couple of years. Mostly though, I associate this with my kids, holidays, and gathering together in joy.
Red Hot Jell-o

1/4 to 1/2 cup cinnamon imperials/red hots-I encourage the kind from the candy section-the ones in the decor/baking section do not reliably dissolve perfectly and cost more. On the night before Christmas-I will take them in any form whatsoever if for some reason we are out.
2 cups water
1 packet Knox Gelatin
1 large box strawberry banana Jell-o
1 jar applesauce-unsweetened (but if you get sweetened it won’t be the end of the world)

Set water to boil on stove with candies in it. Stir and wait for all candies to dissolve and rolling boil to be reached. While doing this mix the dry gelatin with box of strawberry gelatin. (Yeah you can do the soften gelatin in a few tablespoons of water thing-but I end up with lumps and why bother if you can mix it together dry.) When candies dissolve and you have a good boil (usually boil comes first) dump that into the gelatin combo. Stir until all gelatin is dissolved. Add one cup cold water and the jar of applesauce. Stir. Now…here is the thing about this…if you let the gelatin partially set before you add the applesauce or if you stir while the gelatin sets-you will get a more even distribution of applesauce. Otherwise, you end up with about 1/4-1 inch of non textured jello. This really doesn’t matter to anyone but me. I often forget to do this because I am too busy making other things on holidays. If you don’t add the Knox-no worries-it won’t come out as firm and I wouldn’t flip it on a plate but it is still yummy. Add another cup of cold water, more applesauce, more red hots. It is a forgiving recipe. It also doubles well.

1 comment:

dee said...

The red hot jello freaked me out-I think, flipping it out onto a plate was a little too vivid a description. I can just hear that plop(((((shudder))))
It's not often that I can't find something redeeming in a recipe but these just make me want to urp...
I'm making Key Lime bars and stuffed shells for our party tonight. It snowed today so not much of a party-only 9 of us will probably show but we'll eat well.
Happy New Year Tommy.