Friday, January 22, 2010

Knot A Thing

Yeah, it's a terrible picture but I just wanted to get the idea to you of what I learned to do in class last night. It's some beads alternating with crystals (those Swartzy ones). I learned to knot in between each bead and crystal so there is no gap. I also learned how to do the end's to put on the closures (all those things are called 'findings'). I was not bored for a minute. The class was two hours and although I would never wear this (it's just not me) I would definitely do the technique in my own style. I am sure I will go to more classes as my schedule permits.

I went to the class with my BFF Karen and it always makes me laugh at how self deprecating she is and what a spokeswoman for everyone else she turns out to be. She just had a little trouble seeing the itty bitty things but she made her twin bracelet in the time allotted. She was wearing this
necklace and was asking the instructor what technique it is and as we all took a look, it looked
it was just two cotton cords that are knotted in various places anchoring various beads, baubles and trinkets.
This is more of what I would wear knotted. I took it home with me
and started putting together some stuff that I have accumulated in the last hundred years. It was lots of fun to do and although I didn't put on a clasp because it is large enough to easily fit over my head so I thought it was unnecessary. Karen's looked far more 'put together' due to having more color coordinated stones and better ones too, the technique is so easy and fun that the more
I look at it, the more I like it. I didn't realize I had all this crazy stuff.
I assume you can click on these pictures and get a better and larger visual.

As you know, one of the best aspects of having classes in your store is that you create interest in other supplies and inevitably 99%
of the class makes purchases above the class price and supply price (mine was $20 -$12).
Didn't know I needed this. Karen either and maybe her brand new necklace she made wouldn't have broken and scattered under all the pews in church had she known.
I have always wanted to do some work with wire and this will help me (once I get the wire!)
This is the best tool of all. It makes perfect loops. One side is curved concave and the other is rounded convex. It works to a T.

I am off to the grocery. I have a list of two pages, 8 1/2 x 11, of ingredients I need for my seasonal cooking frenzy. I need to fill up the garage refrig with appetizers and other 'go to' items because it won't be long before we have a house full. I am getting excited!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your type of necklace best. It is cool ... and artsy.

Rhonda M.

sophie said...

Sometimes I think one of the best things about learning something new is that you learn about a bunch of new-to-you TOOLS. I always planned to take a class in tying those knots ... and you have pushed it to the top of my consciousness again with those beautiful examples.

Have fun with your new skills (and TOOLS)

Anonymous said...

As always, you have "the gift". You are a true artisan......AND A PIECE OF WORK!!!! :-)
xxx