Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Epiphany

Last night I had an epiphany. I am basing this terminology on my friends who have had such a happening (Frank, while in Italy, who never drank anything but beer until the trip, is now a weak wino). During the critique of Shavon (spelled something like Sioboban) on Idol, Kara said that the beginning of her song sounded like one singer and the second half another. When (let's call her S) S heard this criticism she said that she could never place herself in a category and she liked to sing all sorts of ways and why is that wrong? My words, not hers. Anyway, I so totally related to that. I have always felt like I had to have a look to my art that said me.

I can pick out at least fifty percent of artists work when I open up an art quilt book. I can't say that if I wasn't doing the work myself, that I would ever know what work was mine. I am all over the place. I like all kinds of techniques and color pairings. I need to be content with that and just do what I do. My current new works in the hopper are very organic; something that I have never attempted before.
Photo Temporarily Removed
I have polished up the initial design and drawing, made transparencies, from which I have made real life patterns. Now I am trying to decide how to construct these works. Initially I was thinking of raw edge applique but I
usually work 'cleaner' than that and I don't know if that is outside my comfort level. That's where my thinking is today. I will probably change my mind later .
Photo Temporarily Removed

5 comments:

sistersoftheart said...

Maybe some artists like doing the same thing over and over again but I'm not one of them either! Is it because we get ideas from so many places? I will use the same design in more than one medium, though. Love your drawings & can't wait to see what you do with them!! Patte

dee said...

Love, love, love-make something quick so I can drool. The first drawing is going to be a challenge but the result should be outstanding.

Susan Turney said...

I can't wait to see what you do with these! They made me think of fusing, which I haven't tried yet but am anxious to try when I get moved. I'm wondering if that's what "raw edge applique" is.

spikemuffin said...

Surprising that there would be circles there.

Dedalde's said...

The new work looks awesome. Keep going!!!
God I love artists!!!!