Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Bedtime Story

I received the much anticipated dyer's dictionary yesterday. When I first heard about it, I gave my pal Carol Soderlund a holler, saying that she got upstaged by a book coming out that should have been hers. She laughed and said that if so, it was her fault for not jumping in and doing a book like everyone has been asking her for about forever (me included).

Well, it's not even close to Carol's brilliant and exacting formula for dying. This book doesn't use weights and although I have spent very little time on the book other than to page through it, it is very dull and lifeless if her fabric color samples are any hint. The cover of the book is the most exciting thing about it. It literally put me to sleep last night. I for one am definitely sticking with Carol.

5 comments:

patty a. said...

Thanks for the book review. I am always looking for the latest and greatest info in hand dyeing. I have always wanted to take a class with Carol S. One of these days ...

Deb said...

I agree! I had it on my wish list with Amazon and actually got to thumb through a copy this week-end at a book store. I went home immediately and removed it from my list. Thankfully I looked before I lept on that one. I have taken four, yes four of Carol Soderlund's classes and this book isn't even close. By the way, started taking Carol's classes after seeing you talk about her and the color swatch book here on your blog, so please don't stop blogging! You are a fountain of information! Thanks for your diligence!

Robbie said...

So glad you are 'back at it' Tommy!! I was looking at my 'Bark' magazine today and there's a 'Bella' on page 24 (Smiling dogs of summer'!! Thought for sure it's your Bella! Oh, I'm not one of those coffee readers..I'm one who reads while drinking a margarita!

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Carol S has set the bar high and I don't expect anyone to pass her up.
As a teacher, as a researcher and as a lovely lady she is tops.
We'll all keep waiting patiently for her book!

Gayle from MI said...

Maybe I am just a stupid dyer but I really liked this book. For those of us that haven't been dyeing for a long time, or don't have the time to dye as often as we would like, it is great for the dye color recipe's. I don't mind that it isn't in weights and is only in measures. That is easier for me to follow. I am in it moslty for fun though so maybe that is the key to liking this book. Carol's class is still on my bucket list but until then I will be using this book along with others I have purchased. Taking from them what I like and discarding the rest. If there is one thing I have learned from the journey of dyeing fabric is that everyone's method is the best!!!!!