Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Fathers Day

My Dad died when I was 29 years old. I remember the moment I got the call that he had had a heart attack. Maggie was only two and because I was crying, so too did she, not knowing why she was but only that if mom was sad, so was she. He was the greatest guy in the world to me. Because there were so many of us, he wasn't around a lot. He worked many hours but the time we did have with him, for the most part, was pure fun. We had the first Radar Range (Amana), the first Nintendo (Pong or Odyssey, something like that) and all the toys that came to be when he was a young dad. He made us donuts, onion sandwiches, radish sandwiches, oyster stew and all sorts of crazy stuff. He would receive a Christmas card and immediately, as a joke of course, recycle it right back to the sender, cutting out the written words and replacing them with his own witty sayings. He could reek havoc with things like that just to get a charge out of us. He definitely had a fan club/peanut gallery within his offspring. My dad was a kid himself.

I think about him often and imagine him surrounded by my new extended family (Maria and Evan) and he would have highly approved. When he first died I thought that the world would never be the same and although I am sure that is true, as we all know, life goes on and even though I don't think about him each and every day like I used to, I always get a tear in my eye on Father's Day and think oh so fondly of the old man. He was 57 years old.

Happy Fathers Day to all you dads out there.

10 comments:

Melody Johnson said...

So sad and sweet. Thanks Tommy.

Anonymous said...

I vaguely remember your father, Tommy. Mention should be made here that he was also a super handsome man. After all, part of the Kane good looks came from him!

Debbie Davis Jones

spikemuffin said...

I have to take you with me 'cause I hate saying goodbye....something like that. Nice Tommy.

maggie z. said...

i feel the same way,its kind of an empty day for me, they left us so young...but great memories abound, thanks t...

Anonymous said...

That was so lovely. I know your dad is smiling down on you and thinking that he did okay with his kids to be remembered so lovingly.

Just one bone to pick - how about a photo of you and him? I would love to put a face to your memory.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there and to all the daughters who miss our dads.

Jessica

Cindra said...

What a great Dad, but onion sandwiches? I know and understand the emptiness, today is a great time to sift through all the great memories.

kirwin said...

I too lost my Dad when I was 23, he was 69. Losing a father does leave an void. But now I know where you get you vest for life, and cooking, and sounds like great memories. Time is precious!!!
Love ya
K

Margie said...

My dad was 50 when I was born. I was very lucky to have him until I was 39. Lots of good memories.

Millie said...

It's a beautiful thing when a daughter has fond memories of their father. I've been weepy all day thinking about my dad. Please tell Mr Fitz I said, "Happy Father's Day."

dee said...

How great to have had such a wonderful Dad. That was a lovely remembrance Tommy.