Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Porky

For some reason the holiday weekend ended up being all about the Pig. It started with nine left over hotdogs from the new steamer. People left on the beach were surprised to find me down at water's edge giving away the last of the hotdogs. That gave way to Micky's dream of selling hot dogs on the beach. We figured it wasn't gonna be too profitable because as far as I could surmise, people don't take money to the beach when there is nothing to spend it on. Hence, we decided to do the charitable thing
and so, on the afternoon of the 4th of July, we hit the beach with almost a hundred hot dogs with all the trimmings. They went like hot cakes. The next day, while saying goodbye to the kids, I was accused to making runners and bikers add a mile or two to their morning routines because of our benevolent hot dog release. We had tons of fun doing it.
More pork surfaced on our grill as my brother Bill preformed his magic with rubbed ribs. We only had fifteen for dinner but we had enough ribs for all of you to have a rib or two.
Let's add a little more pork; say about six pounds for my daughter's new interest, sausage making. I have documented the process for your viewing enjoyment.

First came the homework. Maggie did her homework, that's for sure. She had already tested the pork waters by making her own sausage for a dinner party she had. I was intrigued and so she offered a tutorial to the family.
The pork first needs to be cubed, fat and all until it's less than an inch in size. We cut the meat and then it went in the
freezer to stable up a bit before going into the sausage making attachment to the mixer.
It goes on at the same place that a pasta maker goes on the mixer. Because the mixer part still goes around, someone suggested that we could whip up a batch of brownies at the same time. We agreed, but took a pass on that.
The first grind is slow because the sinewy parts kinda get jammed up in the contraption but eventually everything gets ground up. Back to the freezer it goes for another firming up.
After coming out of the freezer the spices and herbs are added and once again, the meat goes through the grinder, this time much easier and good looking than the first time.
This picture is out of place. Look below to see the lovely second grind. I am too lazy to move the pictures. Now look above to see the casings that were first packed in salt when purchased and now have been soaking in water for a couple days. These are actual sheep intestines. Nice.
Again, the lovely second grind.
I like how it went into the bowl. The stuffing of the casing is a bit tricky and takes a little practice.
There are occasionally air bubbles but I think that my gal got the rhythm down and made some
mighty fine looking sausages. They look like they came from the store, and a prime store at that.
They were steamed and then grilled and went into our stomach's. They are such a better quality that just about anything you can purchase that eating one is like eating two or three of the filler types. Great job, Maggie.

This little piggy cried why why why all the way to the scale.

p.s. G just informed me that Vienna Beef hot dogs are not really pork. It seems fitting to ignore that small detail in this particular entry. It just wouldn't have been the same, don't ya think?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and Mickey are 'crazy', yet both beautiful-and generous.
xxx

Gayle from MI said...

Picky, Picky not pork indeed. We had a gentleman in our neighborhood that made sausage and we always bought it for graduation parties and such. It was awesome. He used beef. He put whole mushrooms and all kinds of yummy things in his. Sounds like you had a great holiday.

maggie z. said...

very impressive looking spread indeed!

Melody Johnson said...

You are my kind of gal. Love those finished sausages.

Cindra said...

Wow! You continue to impress me on all levels! What a great weekend! I bet you were a big hit on the beach... everyone will be back for more of the same next year!

Anonymous said...

Not only the great taste but the contents! At least you knew what went into your own homemade. They do look good. You'll have to come here to sausage country to enjoy the pork cuisine.

During one supermarket visit recently, the thought just hit like a brick on just how much the meat industry tries to get meat into everything we consume, especially pork. I can tell you it is hard to find a can of vegetable soup without pork. Pork pork everywhere!

Sherall said...

Oh boy, dinner time and my tummy is growling, actually complaining that our spread isn't up to these standards! I'd like to try these. Where does one get the casings? And what kind of pork do you start out with? I loved your mobile hot dog stand!

Millie said...

Wow...I have that gizmo attachment and never thought of making my own sausage. I only use it for making my own chopped meat. I hope I find the casing down here.