Friday, August 06, 2010

Does Size Matter?

I have been doing a bunch of sewing but it's double secret so I can't let you see it now. I need to finish up some of the things that are cluttering my studio. I did have a mental list yesterday of what I wanted to accomplish, and did actually get most of it done. I still have this Scrabble fixation and I have to settle it down a bit as it's getting in the way of other things. But as G says, I really enjoy it so why not?


Believe it or not, this picture was taken yesterday afternoon around five p.m. right off my deck. Jan and Dean revolved in my noggin' while I was watching Micky's son, Braedan, haul out his surf board and hit the Lake Michigan waves. And they say midwesterners are backwards; well it does look a bit like Braedan is going backwards. Or maybe I was on the wrong side. Yeah, that was it.

Now it's a play of is mine bigger than yours? I got this zucchini picture last night, complete with the needed for scale dime

and this whopper of a gourd is 19" long and 16" in diameter. Considerably larger than mine. I have decided on making some zucchini bread. It's amazing to me that so many of you grow your own and freeze the grated flesh. I am thankful for all the great recipes. Thanks!

2 comments:

spikemuffin said...

spikemuffin has no comment on the size dilemma but your surfing photo should remind us all not to exclude the motion of ocean when considering the size of the ship. And, we're looking for the Scrabble antidote out here too so if you discover one please, please share.

Regina said...

here's a recipe I just made this week. It was awesome. I couldn't find Gruyere so I just used swiss

Zucchini Gratin with Gruyere Cheese

2 lbs small zucchii, shredded
Salt
3 T unsalted butter
1 small shallot, minced
1/2 c. heavy cream
1/2 c. shredded Gruyere cheese

Preheat broiler. Put shredded zucchini in a large colander & toss w/1/2 t. salt. Let the zucchini stand for 5 min., then squeeze out as much liquid as you can. In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter. Add minced shallot and cook over moderate heat until shallot is softened about 3 min. Add shredded zucchini & cook over hi heat, tossing, til zucchinis is just softened, about 2 min. Add the heavy ctream and simmer til thickened, about 1 min. Remove zucchini from heat and season w/salt. Transfer the zucchini to a shallow baking dish (I used a glass pie plate)Scatter Gruyere on top of zucchini and broil 4 inches from heat for 1 minute until cheese is golden brown. Serve right away

As I always say, "yum, Yum"