Wednesday, September 15, 2010

ViFi

My mother in law was a fantastic person. She died twenty years ago but not a day goes by when I don't talk to her (thankfully there is a dog close by to act as a stand in!) Martha was the one that got me into quilting. She did all the cutting without the aid of a rotary cutter or machine and did everything by hand. I will soon take pictures of just some of the quilts that she made the family. Lately, our immediate family have gone through the many, many boxes of things I have saved for the kids from their childhood and uncovered the kids first quilts from her and their youth quilts. Every stitch she did was by hand. Lots of polyester past through her little fingers. Like me, she hadn't a clue that cotton was the way to go. We went to the store and if we could find the color, we paid no attention to the fiber content.

She had a window in her kitchen that looked out to a postage stamp of a back yard in the heart of Chicago. Every morning she watched the birds in the bird bath and tended to her collection of violets in their pots in the window. I never quite got why she tended to these flowers with the love that she did. I tried to grow them myself but found that they were very difficult to get 'right'. They seemed like succulents that were leggy and had little flowers most of the time. Well, Gramma Bus will be happy to know that I have finally been sucessful with a Violet.
My precious Maria and Peter are going to bless our family with our little wiggling Violet in December. A Christmas baby!!!! She is kicking up a storm and waiting to join our delightful family. We couldn't be happier.

Now, back to tending the flower garden!!!

11 comments:

tresiarth said...

Tommy,

Congratulations! I think it is going to be a wonderful time in your life. Both my sister and I managed to give my mother granddaughters in December days before Christmas. It will be a magical time for you guys. Best Wishes
Tresia

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet and wonderful way to announce good news! Enjoy.

Cindra said...

What wonderful news! Such a great story, too. What a lucky little girl!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations from the bottom of my little silver heart...and from experience with eight grandbabies of my own.

It will be a glorious time...from this day forward.

xxx

Anonymous said...

WOOHOOO!!!!!!
Love, Martha

Gayle from MI said...

Congrats to you! Grandbabies are the best. Grandaughters even more so. I am amazed daily at how much they touch your heart.

Sherall said...

There's going to be a little girl who is so lucky to have a wonderful grandmother who will enrich her life in so many ways. Congratulations, Tommy.

Sherall

Anonymous said...

great news! You will make a wonderful grandma.

Cindy

Randi said...

Congratulations! Baby quilts are in your future...fun!

Karen said...

Congrats to you, G, and the rest of your family. Time to start a quilt for the little darlin'.

Corky said...

Congratulations! I'm betting you'll be a fantastic grandmother. Make sure you pick what you want her to call you - it's a name you'll have for the rest of your life. Do you want to be grandma, granny, nanny, mimi...the choices are many.