Tuesday, October 05, 2010

How I Didn't Rock Quilt National

I am home from my Extreme Makeover just in time because the kids are returning home from their Seattle vaca. It's good to be around my own stuff.

Okay, it's official. I will NEVER apply to Quilt National again.
Rocky I
Rocky I Detail
Round and Round
Round and Round Detail
Insides
Insides Detail

These are the three quilts I entered and a close up of each of them. Who do you have to sleep with to get into that show? I have decided that I am nuts for trying again (third time's a charm and all that). After looking over the last few books of Quilt National I know what to do to get in but am not willing to do it. I will let you in on a little secret as to how to get in though, at least for the most part. You make a mediocre boring colored, ill constructed quilt. You then leave it out in your yard and use as a drop cloth in all sorts of weather and just when it has gotten caught in a gnarly tree, bunch it up in a ball, then straighten and take a picture and send it as your entry. I will not play THAT game. So there.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, not letting those people make you feel inadequate. It is a BARN after all ....

Anonymous said...

My dear, I am laughing so hard that I may have peed myself. I shall take that mess, bind it badly, find a couple of cats to roll on it and let it moulder in the garage, Then it will be ready to be accepted in Quilt National.
Sorry though for any hurt feelings you might have over the rejection but congratulations for having the courage to try at all. KKF

Pammyfay said...

Oh, your quilt was way too tame for them! I ordered one of the Quilt National catalogs from a show a few years ago (I have ones from several earlier shows) and was grossed out by the turn those quilts were taking! I love modern quilts, but they were freaky!

Well, you know you've always got an audience here.

Beth in TN said...

You could start a virtual show on your blog like they have in Paris for the rejects of the Paris Salon, the "Salon des Refuses." (there's an accent over that last e but I can't figure out how to make it here!) Anybody who's had a quilt refused for a show could post it to your "refuses" gallery :)Bet there would be plenty that "the rest of us" (not the people at THE BARN) thought were winners!

dee said...

Don't let it get you down. Roger bought me a copy of the last catalogs and I questioned my own work after viewing it. I have taken to calling it "the great OZ syndrome" They keep telling you how wonderful and inovative they are and we keep buying it.
I love your work. It's fresh, different, and the quilting is so complimentary to the design. Frankly, your work is too good for that mess.

Gayle from MI said...

Well put. That's how I feel about most shows though. Everything is so subjective and at the whim of the judges. With the exception of the Mancuso shows or Houston or the one in Chicago of course. I go mainly for the vendors to touch and feel what I am going to buy. I gave up going for inspiration so now when there is something inspiring it is a nice surprise.

Anonymous said...

I know nothing about fabric art, but I like your ideas. Keep up the good work.