Friday, November 12, 2010

Mom Musings

This is a quilt that I made for my Mom a few years ago. I was in my ring stage (which I intend to take up again soon) and she commented that she would like a quilt over her china chest in these colors. I made it for her and then stretched it over 1 x 2's. It measures 59 x 20. It's a very large color palette for me. I don't often combine so many colors together but I like the results.
This was the last thing that my Mom had on her design wall. These appear to be oak leaves that are blanket stitched on black fabric. Except for the last two, they are not sewn together as yet. I assume this is a pattern but I am not sure. I don't know what I will do with them yet. I may make something for each of my siblings out of them but so far only a pillow comes to mind and I would like to be more clever than that. They are each 7" square.

I can easily see how people can just let their website go. I am personally responsible for doing it myself. All of a sudden I realized that I hadn't posted any new work on the site for more than two years. It literally takes five minutes to send the images and stats of a work to my WebMaster and within a couple days it's done. There were even some design elements on the site that I didn't like and just didn't do anything about it up until now. Check it out.

I lose time somewhere and I don't know where it goes. My doctor commented that I hadn't been for a visit for two years (this past summer) and I said, no, that can't be right but sure enough, her records were right and my brain was flawed. Time seems to pass way to fast. I even wake up some mornings and wonder what day/month/year it is. Do you do that?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely wake up some mornings.....and have to read the headlines of the Chicago Tribune to know what day it is and the date....Welcome to the "Club".
xxx

Susan Turney said...

Absolutely. I bowled yesterday so it's Tues. or I went to happy hour last night so it's Thurs, etc. But...I do remember thinking the same thing in my 30s and 40s but we just laughed it off. Now that we're older it seems more serious but I think it's normal.
BTW, I'm making your Hanky Panky squares AGAIN!! They've become my go-to snack to have on hand when I have company coming. I'm not much of a cook so I make an egg-bake and the HPs and we go out for everything else. There's so much to do here in Las Vegas that we're rarely home anyway so they're perfect. Then after the company is gone they're sometimes my dinner!!!!

Gayle from MI said...

Your quilts look great! I like how you do all that piecing of the curves and everything. That is to be my goal for 2011. To make some pieced art quilts or at least partailly pieced. I usually fuse because I am in too much of a hurry. What fun to have something that your mom started for you to work with. Be sure to let us know what you decide. I still have my grandmothers aprons that I am supposed to be doing something with, for twelve years now!

Brige said...

Oh Tommy!

I hope you share with us your process with the chain link quilts. I love your chain link quilts!

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, you aren't alone in wondering where time goes. Heaven forbid I take an afternoon nap without setting a clock. I'll wake up 2hrs later completely confused as to what time or day it is.

A few evenings ago I took a nap after work and woke up a few minutes after 6pm and was frightened out of my wits that I'd overslept and was late for work...lol...completely disoriented.