Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The More The Merrier

I was just looking at my photos and saw that I totally forgot a big thing at the show. Let me step back for a minute and give you a little of the background of my thought. Since seeing a segment on Simply Quilts, about fifteen years ago, I have wanted to be involved in making a portion of a quilt. That is, taking a photo or drawing and enlarging it and then cutting it up in sections (let's say ten parts) and passing each part out to anyone who wants to participate. The quilters will use their own judgement, with a time limit and then complete 'their' quilt. There is a couple of us in our little bee that have been pushing this to no avail. So, I tore out an article in the current SAQA journal about quilting imitating art to have Anne read in the plane on the way to Houston. It was exactly what I just explained that a group did in Canada. She said was up for doing it. I told her when things settled down I was gonna ask for people on the blog to finish up the other parts to the quilt. Then I forgot about it. That is, until I wandered to a corner of the quilt show and much to my amazement, the very quilt that was the focus of the article was there, just hanging inches from my eyes!!! It had to mean something and so I took it to mean that yes, this project must be done and I was the one to get it off the ground. More on that in a minute.
Here is the finished piece. It is called 'Laurentian Foothills' and is inspired by a painting by Ann Savage called 'Saint-Sauveur'. This is the write up of the piece that was at the show. It's way too long to copy. The painting (with permission, of course) was copied, enlarged and split into twenty little quilts and sent off with a few guidelines. Here are some of my closeups of the real thing.
This appears to be completely felted.
This is raw edge machine appliqued, I think.
This looks like couching (rucheing?). Excuse me if I am terribly wrong; I don't do this stuff so don't know all the technical terms but I sure like the end result.
I think I have this one right; threadwork?
The method was completely up to the artist themselves but it had to be within the parameters of a definition of a quilt.
This is another way of doing the same group quilt. It's called 'Boston's Back Bay', and is based on a picture of that very bay and done by the following: Mary Lou Schwinn, Janet Dye, Joan Randall, Janet Dignan, Patricia Smith, and Graciela Piccolo.


And finally another group quilt called 'A Year In Tuscano' by Pauline Barnes and Ten Plus One.

So, here's my plan that I am putting out there. I would like to do a group quilt. I would like to see how many of you out there would be interested in doing it with me and Anne. I would choose the content without you knowing what the original complete piece looks like as a whole. I would give you a time limit and completed size (I have to iron out hanging issues in my brain). Each section of the quilt would be yours to keep but I would guess that the completed quilt will travel around the world for several years. Game on?

7 comments:

vivian said...

Count me in!

patty a. said...

I would love to join in!

Karen said...

I am too slow, otherwise I might consider this. Just another idea. We had a gal that came to guild with a neat wall hanging. You use a photograph or drawing. You use your favorite method to make it. You can use painting, thread work, raw edge sewing, etc. (just not too many different kinds of techniques). After your entire project is done, you cut your finished piece into 12 equal pieces. Then you trade with 11 other people who have done the same picture with their own techniques. Now you fuse each of these 12 pieces to a background (basically putting your puzzle picture together). I'm sure I haven't explained this too clearly, but I hope you get the gist. Anyway, it looks really cool because it is the same picture with each section done in a different technique...and everyone gets a picture of their own to keep! I am forwarding a picture to your e-mail.

Robbie said...

Tommy, sure I'm game (depending on timeframe)! Our small fiber group did this simliar challenge a few years ago and we were actually juried into the IQA show in Houston!! You can see our piece on my blog here:
http://robbiespawprints.blogspot.com/2008/12/now-it-does-look-like-christmas.html
so put my name in the draw!

Robbie said...

Oh, I did the 'blue panel' in my previous comment.

Gayle from MI said...

Now that I know I have until May, count me in!

Candice Hope said...

You can count me in! This sounds like fun and I need someone to push me back into my sewing room! :D

As for hanging, my first inkling is to use pre-made stretched canvasses from a craft store. You'd have to look up sizes and divide the reference picture up so one of the pre-made sizes will work. Then we'd all have to use some black fabric to edge our pieces with (or maybe for continuity, you could do that part to all of them) and wrap the black around and staple to the wood stretchers on back. Then each can be wired to hang.