Monday, December 06, 2010

One Of A Kind

My internet has been down for large parts of two days. I guess it's the half inch of snow (that was to be 4") that is causing havoc with my pastime. It's rough on my scrabble competition. We met up with all the kids yesterday for the annual shop a thon at the One Of A Kind show at the Merchandise Mart. Big camera in hand, I had big hopes of taking tons of pictures of all the new stuff that I came across to share with you in the hopes that you could go to the show after the fact, with me. It didn't happen.
I took this picture of amazing stained glass with found objects and another of

this very cool jewelry made out of recycled plastics and then hit rock bottom. I have never gone to the show on Sunday and will never again. It was so crowded that we had to immediately split up only to be overwhelmed with just G by my side. We literally spent the next hour sitting in the refreshment center (sans refreshments) and just gabbed with Maggie and Evan while Peter and Maria did the shopping. It was such a mob scene that I don't frankly know how nine month pregnant Maria managed but somehow she plowed forward and got lots of great stuff, none of which she shared with us so I am assuming that I will be the beneficiary of something. Wish full thinking on my part, I'm a thinking.

It was lovely to just sit and gab with the kids, no matter where without the computer and other abstractions to side track us. We then headed out to the restaurant that we always hit during the show, Kinzie's Chophouse only to find it closed. Then on to the Gilt Bar. Closed too. There's that pesky Sunday again. We finally got into the car and headed to the kids neighborhood in Bucktown and had a late and fantastic lunch at a puerto rican restaurant where we all left with a food coma. It was a good day.

2 comments:

Robbie said...

A day with kids and food..can't get much better than that!

QuiltingFitzy said...

Isn't it pillow reveal day YET? I'm dying here! lol I look SO forward to this every year.