Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Memories

Yesterday's followup doc appointment was not the first thing in the morning but we made it a day and after some shopping, walking and eating I got the thumbs up for my healing eye. It's a little swollen but I can only feel it, not see it. That being normal, I don't have to go back until next Monday.

Twenty five years ago G and I went to Hawaii with two couples. One of those couples (Nancy and Frank) worked for Dole (as in pineapple); Frank, not Nancy. In fact, they used to live in Hawaii and their daughter Nicole was born there. Anyway, so we got to go to the Dole Plantation. We even stayed there, and it was great fun. We were surrounded by pineapple fields. They were everywhere you looked.

One of the Hawaiian men that I met was Pete and here he is now hamming for the camera. He is getting a pig ready for a roast and that is exactly what he did those many years ago. Behind him is his son Ross, who was a little boy back then, but then I was a tad younger too. The cannery people threw us an original laui, not one of those hotel ones but a real spread of all the things that the men and women of Hawaii ate. It was very memorable.
So, here is Hawaii Pete's Hawaii Pig. Notice the attention to detail with the garnishing. Someone has been watching the food channel!!!

No comments: