Saturday, January 15, 2011

Still Can't Resist

I am still on the resist kick. I feel that I need to comment on the process a bit. Resist is just putting down a substance (this school glue gel, hot wax, store bought compilations) on fabric and then leaving it there while you add dye or paint and then you remove the resist and it will remain the color of the fabric. You can then paint the resist parts once the product is removed (usually with heat and water). I have used soy wax before but I decided to try the gel because you use it at room temp.
To get the flow of the product I quickly did a drawing with the glue right out of the bottle and dried it and added paint. I 'set' the dried paint so it would remain colorfast for removing the glue by ironing it with an iron as hot as it can go for between five and ten minutes (two or three songs on your iPod). This does nothing to your iron. The glue stays dry and in place and you don't need to use a pressing cloth at all. That to me, is amazing. Then I submerged the whole piece in a bucket of hot water for a half hour and then threw it in the wash with my studio towels that needed washing.. This is what I ended up with. The color remained perfect and although I never had designs on the colors as good design but I needed to do the whole process. What I didn't like was the messiness of my glue placement. When you first open the bottle it runs fine but it takes very little air to get into the bottle to start to spirt and sputter with air bubbles.
I also wanted a smaller line to begin with so I started transferring the glue to a smaller bottle with a smaller hole. I trapped this covered bottle in a bottle until all the air bubbles went to the bottom and then I 'drew' with it.
I found I had much more control doing it this way.
I actually didn't mind having to refill the little bottle because the control was so much better.
I thought I would paint this one yesterday but I got into the drawing and couldn't help myself.
The one I finished with last night was this one that is either bobbers or popsicles. I want some this shape on the other side going the other way but my planning was bad and I couldn't stretch my arm in any way to not touch the still wet glue. You can see that this is already starting to dry but I just put it away to dry completely today and start in again. This is about 20 inches square and if it is a good design in the end, I could see it being quite large with many color ways.

I may try putting the little bottle in some warm to hot water today and see how that works.

5 comments:

Gayle from MI said...

You can also cut up a dollar store or old mechanical pencil with a metal tip. Then you cut the end of the original glue bottle tip about 1/8-1/4" from the narrow end. You then forcefully "shove" the end of the pencil down into the glue bottle cap. This way you can have more than one width of glue line depending on the size pencil you use.

sistersoftheart said...

Love this! Does the glue create a complete barrier to the back side of the fabric. If you wet the fabric before adding dye/paint (so the colors can bleed a bit) will the color leach under the glue? Where do you get the gel glue?

spikemuffin said...

I'm not going to begin to understand it but I'm impressed, nonetheless!

pam in SW Fl said...

this is so much better than the first one. like your tip :) on the school glue as I know it washes out easily.

nice piece in the making

patty a. said...

I bought a couple of bottles of this glue two years ago and have not gotten around to using them. Your tips will help me if I ever find the time to play.