Friday, February 11, 2011

Explain This

For anyone that is interested, I have changed the Crispy Crab Cakes recipe (You can access it by clicking on the picture that says, 'Tommy Cooks'). Even though they tasted fantastic, they were a bear to get out of the pan or to hold together. Because it is one of G's favorites, I decided last night that it was time to fudge with the ingredients and/or method of cooking or find another recipe. Bottom line is I added an egg and took out the milk and instead of cooking them in a pan on the stove I put them on a parchment lined sheet pan and baked at 350ยบ for 10 minutes on one and five on the other side. Much prettier presentation. Oh, as far as the other ingredients, I put in much more than a dash of hot sauce.

So now, here's what's going on. I have grown particularly fond of the last quilt called 'Exclamation Point'. I have decided to do it in parts this time rather than being a whole cloth quilt. No paint, just fabric. I took a photo of the quilt, changed it to black and white and made a copy of transparency paper to use in my overhead projector. I reflected the picture on the wall and drew the outlines, considerably larger. Here is my drawing on one side of the slider and the original quilt on the other.
I turned the picture on the window backwards first to make patterns on freezer paper so they would be mirror image to iron on the back of the pattern. Each piece got it's own symbol to match up with later. After all the patterns were drawn and cut out (with a scant seam allowance added), they were ironed onto the correct color of fabric. This takes a while with all the many pieces in this quilt but it's a lot of down time (on my butt) so that's okay.
The process for most of the pieces is to spray spray starch in the lid of the can, and with a little paint brush, spread on the starch as in # (you can see the little dark mark where I started to apply the starch). The process is complete in the example of 03 ( the side that is not folded under is the outside edge which goes off the quilt).
For the little shapes, the freezer paper is applied with the seam allowance but with these I do a running stitch around the circle and then, with long ends of thread I tie and knot the seam allowance around the shape and when it is secure I iron it flat.

This is a picture of the first shapes starting to be sewn down. It's starting to come together. Just like Micky D's , I am lovin' it.

1 comment:

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

I'll do them again with the revised recipe.
They were so good and the taste was good, but mine were more like Crab hash.
thought it was just me!