Friday, April 01, 2011

Wedded Bliss

Too much gabbin' was going on the last two days by the insulation remover guys. They never got to the studio. I had all my stuff ready to leave my happy home and plant my butt elsewhere but that never happened. Now they say they will get to it on Monday. So, I had time to pin my quilt and actually start the quilting process which was to go around all the white so that I could remove some of the pins.

Gordon brought a pamphlet back from church about the state of the 'marriage'. The facts are actually pretty shocking. Here is a little bit of the info.

Catholic weddings have declined 35% in the last 15 years. The number of marriages per 1000 women over the age of 15 has dropped 49% since 1970 (two years before I got married). 39% of births are now to unmarried women - up from 5% in 1960. The number of cohabiting couples skyrocketed from less than a half million in 1960 to almost 6 and a half million in 2007. 26% of children live with a single parent - up from 9% in 1960.

It goes on and on. Hey, things change. I personally think that people either go into marriage with the idea that 'well, if it doesn't work out, we can always get a divorce' or they get smart and figure that you aren't doing yourself or kids or whoever any good by staying in a bad marriage. I have always been with the belief that just because you fall in love or whatever and marry at 25 doesn't mean you necessarily have anything in common when you are 50. People change and life is too short to stay in a relationship that you don't want. The Church doesn't like my opinion.

1 comment:

Gayle from MI said...

Don't feel bad. I'm pretty sure the church doesn't like me at all. M calls me a Cafeteria Catholic because I pick and choose which of their man made rules I wish to follow.