Friday, May 20, 2011

Eat Your Vegetables!


At the end of last year I got together 16 girls to do a group quilt. They had four months to complete their 1/16th section. That section measured in at roughly 6 x 12 inches. This is the original picture that I used for the group. It was a market scene that I had taken in China the year before.
Here is the final masterpiece. I struggled with how to put it together. I originally wanted to stretch each portion around thin wood and then velcro them onto a black quilted background. That way, everyone could have their section back. Once the sections came in I realized that there was no way I could do that. Some of the parts were so stiff due to extra batting used and dense thread work that it couldn't be done. In the end I opted to just put it together like a quilt as you go. I sewed the seams and took out as much bulk as I could and ironed them open.
This is what the back ended up looking like. I hid the seams with fabric strips that were treated with wonder under so that I didn't have to sew them down by hand. Of course, if this was a quilt that would be used for anything other than hanging, I would have tackled it differently.
These are a few of the closeups of the blocks. There is some mighty fine work
contained in the quilt. We hemmed and hawed as to who would end up with the finished work,
whether it be donating it, raffling it or having a lottery amongst ourselves. I got the final choice and so, today, when my quilting friends come, I am going to video the drawing of names out of a hat to see who ends up with it. I am going to see if I can get it into the Houston show first. I named the work, 'To Market, To Market'. It measures completed at 41 1/2 x 22.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! Can't wait to see it later today. Can I get into the drawing??

Pjn

Anonymous said...

Well done to Tommy and her friends, fabulous work!

spikemuffin said...

Very impressive!

Cindra said...

Fabulous!

dee said...

so very cool. what a great job everyone did.

kirwin said...

Wow. That looks totally amazon. Nice work gals

QuiltSwissy said...

So Impressive. I have long wanted to do a collaborative Quilt like this.

glen