Saturday, July 09, 2011

Branson: Day One

The car ride to Branson took us 10 1/2 hours, counting stops. My sis Mike and I did some book reading (I am finishing up 'The Girl With That Played With Fire' and Mike is almost done with J. A. Jance's 'Partner in Crime') and we did a little handwork while G read us every billboard from Indiana to our hotel entrance. Very entertaining.

We were very surprised at the landscape
as we got into Missouri. The idea that the Ozark Mountains being here never crossed my mind. The extent of my Missouring around has previously been limited to
St. Louis. The fact that there are beautiful mountain sites
with highways carved out was a big surprise. It was quite lovely.

Upon arrival in Branson we followed the signs to the historic downtown. It wasn't what I thought it would be. It is very depressed and full of flea markets and collectible stores with dirty windows. The main attraction seemed to be Dick's 5 and 10, established in 1961. The variety store was filled to the brim. Each aisle was crammed from the floor to the ceiling.
Granny panties go side by side with all my favorite candy boxes and bars. I'm just sayin'. It's a bit odd.

2 comments:

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

For years we thought that Branson was what you see in the downtown.
NOT!
You've got to go the other direction to see the "NEW"" Branson!

Robbie said...

I love the 'girl with the dragon tattoo' series! I just finished 'fire' and ready to listen to 'hornet's nest'!! Hard to get started on this series but wow..I'm hooked! almost hate to finish the 3rd one! Have fun in Branson! And make sure to contribute to the economy there!! I bet you find lots at the "5 and 10"! They always have 'stuff' you couldn't find elsewhere.