Thursday, September 08, 2011

Scrap Attack

I have been very slow in finishing my last quilt. I think it is an unconscious stall to slow down for awhile. I have to be busy in the studio tho' so I have chosen to do busy work. I have been doing this for the last couple weeks. That consists of cutting pieces from my scrap drawers.
I accumulated some of the left overs from my last baby quilt and added to from my stash of store bought fabrics. 3 inch squares were cut and boxed. Then I decided to give the back a rest and
stand super straight and organize the squares in order

for the center 'quilt' of my current favorite baby quilt. Each one is nine rows across and ten rows down so they have 90 squares each.
I assembled eight of the quilts so far. I have enough fabric to do eight more but decided to go on to something equally brainless but active.
My large queen sized scrap quilts are made up of 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" rectangles and I have vowed to completely empty my scrap drawers with this block unless the pieces of fabric are too big and then I cut out some 2 1/2" strips for later use as binding. I can't figure out how I end up with so much commercial fabric when I hardly ever buy any but I did inherit quite a bit from my mom and before I started to dye my own fabric I had quite a bit. Last year I went through it and took most of the small leftover pieces and added them to my scraps.

Yesterday I started the sewing of these rectangles. I am going to try and stay on top of my commercial fabric and cut as I go so the fabric doesn't even make it to a drawer but rather in a bin of already cut pieces. That's easy for me to say now. Time will tell.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Busy, busy hands!! OMG
xxx

Miracles said...

I love the colors....they make me happy!