Monday, September 26, 2011

Time Served

I have completed my first day in True Colors, a dyeing class taught by Carol Soderlund at the Crow Barn. It is always great fun to see old friends and meet new ones. I kinda screwed up yesterday. I was running late in getting to Ohio and so arrived at Nancy Crow's at what I thought was a half hour before dinner. I walked into the Barn and the roar of voices coming from the dining room startled me. Did they start early? I racked my brain and realized that I didn't take the time change into account and just couldn't walk in after dinner had been going on for over a half hour. I cowered and retraced my steps to the car and hightailed it out of there. I am just not good at that sort of thing. I would rather be the dork that arrives two hours too early than to walk into a group that has been together for as much as two and a half hours. I texted my teacher Carol and explained just that I was running late and I didn't take into account the time change and so I would see them all in the morning (which, by the way, is acceptable). Little did I know that that cunning Margaret Wolf, our wonderful chef, saw me approach and then slink away. Whoa is me. I got caught. Oh well, it's not the most stupid thing I ever did. I can name a thousand things I have done in the past month that are worse.

Let's pass on those thousand things and get right into class. We had a delightful meet and greet and talked about what questions we wanted answered. It was very interesting. All of the questions my fellow classmates asked were ones that had not as yet formulated in my brain (it's a small brain after all). The basic concept of the class is to mix colors by eye rather than a formula, which is what I do. We discussed value (light to dark), hue (the color) and saturation (the intensity of the color). Then we went into the wet studio next door and made our own gradations from a one color to another and we will swap these to have lots of colors to choose from.

You can't tell by this picture but we were gifted these cups that have a triangular lip to them with pour ridges in them Thank you Carol. We got two sizes and then we got to mixing colors to make our gradations from color to color. I have done gradations within a color (lighter to darker) but not from color to color. Pretty cool. I am guessing this is one of the visuals we need to start to visualize colors to mix. I am pretty stoked because even tho' my color bible is fantastic, I would like to create some colors that just don't show up in the color bible.
Here is a shot of the wet studio. There are at least 11 sinks in this room. It is amazing. I could tell you more of how we do it but them there would be issues of Carol taking a contract on my life or at least copyright infringements leading to lengthy prison time so I would rather you just take the class yourself. And anyway, there is food provided!!!

1 comment:

Miracles said...

My level of dye work is a tie-dye t-shirt back in the 60's. Enjoy your class. This is not the first time that you forget time change. Put a reminder note on your suitcase!