Monday, October 24, 2011

Grazers

I haven't made grazers in a very long time and I don't know why. They are an excellent snack to have frozen on hand that you can whip out at a moments notice because you serve them frozen. I made a big batch with the help of my sister for my friends pre dinner snack. Here is the skinny on them.

Get yourself a loaf of wheat bread, and a jar of peanut butter. Put the bread in the freezer because you are going to cut off the crusts and it's easier when it's cold and firm. After the crusts are off (save them) cut the bread in half and cut each half into four rectangles. I usually do three or four pieces of bread at a time.
Set your oven for 250ยบ and pop the bread and crusts in for about 40 minutes. You can stir them up a couple times if you want.
When the crusts are done, put them in your food processor and pulverize.
I don't think you can over process it. Basically it's bread crumbs (yes, I am a genius) and
I have actually filled in with some other bread crumbs when I was getting low.

Mix the jar of peanut butter (around 13 to 16 ozs.) with 1/4 c. vegetable oil and 2 T. sugar (I use splenda) in your double boiler (or my method of a metal bowl over a pot). Heat it through until it is completely mixed together.
Toss a few rectangles of toasted wheat bread in the peanut butter and take out after they are coated with a large slotted spoon (I use that asian wok thingy)
I let all the excess liquid drain off and then add them to the bread crumbs. When they are all coated, I place them on a sheet pan
and freeze them. When they are all frozen I bag them for future use. I like to look at the face of someone who doesn't know what they are made of. It's sometimes hard to tell. Make 'em; you'll like 'em.

1 comment:

Miracles said...

Mmm.....another great 'do ahead'. I think I could serve
them as a dessert with sweet dipping sauces. Thanks for posting this recipe