Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Squish


First up on the squash fest was Butternut Squash Lasagna. This is a picture of the squash as it was preparing to roast before it was pureed along with ricotta, eggs and parm. Then it was just like regular lasagna, layered with a bechamel and the pureed mix and topped with mozzarella and more parm. I loved it and so did everyone else except Gordon. He doesn't understand the lack of meat. It certainly can bee a side rather than an entree (I explained to him) but he had a comment about the nutmeg and so, the dish was not for him. I gave his portion to Micky to take home because she loved it. Maybe it's a girl thing.
The second squash recipe needed thin sliced butternut that was sprinkled with chili powder and maple syrup before it was roasted until soft and golden.
This picture looks weird, like the sandwich was top heavy but in reality it wasn't at all. It must be the angle I took the picture at.
It made it's way into a sandwich, which was highlighted in last months issue of The Food Network Magazine by the Sandwich King. It's basically a grilled cheese that layers manchego cheese with the squash, toasted sliced almonds and a mix of balsamic glaze and caramelized sweet onions. I gotta say, it may be the best sandwich I have ever eaten. The onion mix is the star. G liked it so well (yeah, hard to believe) he ate two at one sitting. You won't be sorry if you make this while cheap squash is still abundant.
I halved a spaghetti squash, removed the seeds and baked it as is for about 45 minutes and it came out of the oven
and all I had to do was take a fork and make 'spaghetti'. This is an actual substitute for pasta for low carb watchers but I like it warm with salt and pepper, parmesan and maybe a little bacon and that's it. You can have a tomato base to a sauce or just use your imagination. It is very versatile
You can clean and dry the seeds and sprinkle with salt and toast them in the oven. It was G's snack while watching Sunday football.

3 comments:

Miracles said...

The Butternut Squash Lasagna would work as a side dish in my house. I'd have to re-name the recipe because my hubby wouldn't go for it being called 'lasagna'. I understand the 'girl' preference thing.... it would make a hit for a girls' lunch. I can't wait to taste the Manchego Grilled Cheese Sandwich.

Can I come up with a dream menu cooked by Tommy for my birthday? Or pick recipes from a hat?

Irene said...

Those all look absolutely yummy! My DH would be just like G - where's the meat? I'm going to try all of them - thanks Tommy!

Mary Keasler said...

Yummmmmmm. and again Yummmmmmmm