Saturday, October 01, 2011

"Stewing"

I quit even trying to blog on the road this time. Everything was just too difficult. Then I got home today and realized that these pictures were still in line to go onto the blog!!!
This picture consists of two yard lengths of white cotton that I tried replicating the paint chip that is in the middle. It's the basis of the class, mixing colors by eye. Obviously the one on the left looks better than the one on the right. I am getting better at it, but it takes some time and trial and error.
The class was a great and I met some new friends and reacquainted with some old friends. You learn almost as much from each other as you do from the class itself. Everyone is so eager to share their knowledge and come to find out? There many many ways to do the same thing and do it effectively. I have notes on things I learned just having a cuppa with someone from across the room. Lots of fun.
We all did gradations of all the true dye colors and we are sharing them with each other. When I get mine organized I will blog them. It was kind of a spur of the moment decision to do and so Carol, the teacher, didn't have any format for us to mount the gradations. Thankfully, she gave it some thought and is sending us a pdf so we can print them out at our leisure and mount the fabric swatches. This is a picture of Kit doing a light to dark gradation of the color Grape.
This is my gradation of the color Tangerine. There are ten different colors but this is after I did all the work and was just getting them ready to batch so there are two two cups, one on top of the other and then another clear cup on the top to keep most of the air out of the containers so they can 'stew' for a few hours before we do the washout.

I will show you some of the classes finished work and other stuff in the next few days. I just have to get the car unpacked.

No comments: