Friday, November 11, 2011

Croak!

Every time I want to get mad at Apple/MacBook I remember when I lost EVERYTHING on my computer and that was when I was an idiot and didn't backup on line. All of my pictures from 2008 (except the weddings; they were on disk) are gone forever, except for those on the blog. I just found this frog quilt by putting in' frog quilt' in the little search rectangle on the top of the blog. Sometimes I can download my own pictures (and others for that matter) and sometimes I can't. I just figured out why. You have to get the photo to it's last size. I know I didn't say that correctly
but they need to be at the last stage of their processing. Again, don't quote me but that's what I just found out.

I was looking for the quilt to show you this finished quilt which was one of four I made all at the same time. There is a reason for that. The quilt is very difficult for my pea brain. The legs are much more technical than I normally take on, with the changing backgrounds, so after the first time I did the quilt
I said to myself, ' Self, do more than one at a time; it takes you so long to get IT that you need not waste that brain power each and every time you tackle this quilt'. And the only reason why I am making it anyway is because I have a shower for a soon to be born baby boy and the first thing I got for him was a sleeper with frogs on it and frog feet and I thought the quilt would be fitting to go along with the sleeper. Phew!!! Long sentence. Anyway, instead of four I thought why not cut out eight. And so I did.
The problem isn't the frog cut out parts; no not at all. It's the lack of correct counting for the background parts that I failed miserably at.
Unfortunately I was going ramming speed at constructing the first group of eight blocks and well into my second group (doing 16 different color groupings for each quilt) When I realized that I was stealing parts of Peter to pay Paul. I didn' t cut anywhere near enough of the much needed 1 1/2 inch squares. I cut 64 for each frog and I realized well into my wasted work that I actually need 96 for each. This is why God made calculators and why there should be a class in don't do dumb things. So,
bottom line is that I have definitely made blocks that I can't use but now I have to do each block one at a time and see how far I can get with the background that I have already cut. (Oh, did I mention that I don't have any fabric left and I can't find it anywhere anyway?) I will have lots of the big blocks that I can cut into 1 1/2" blocks but I have made so much more work for myself than I could have ever imagined. It's one of those times when you want to just accidentally throw all the parts in the garbage can. Believe me, if it didn't take me two days of my life to cut out the original parts, they would be on their way to a landfill as I type.

6 comments:

Synthia said...

That is one adorable froggie quilt!!! I hope you find a way (buy some similar fabric, maybe??) to finish the remainder. It's just too cute to go in the landfill!!

Beth in TN said...

I know the feeling of wanting to chuck it all. An idea for you: Make the last two blocks be his initials done totally different. That personalizes it. You might still be able to "hook" them on with the frog's arms to tie them in.

Margie said...

I have decided that the more years I quilt I still make as many mistakes. They just get made faster and on a bigger scale.

spikemuffin said...

Love the "ramming speed" reference. BTW, Kindle Fire being delivered here Tuesday. Expecting big things. Still mourning loss of Ricobenne founder.

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorites! I know a certain boy who will love it! Glad you're sticking to it!

Pjn

donna said...

Oh, I so understand what you are talking about. I hate that feeling. This too shall pass......