Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving Prep

My company is on it's way and I have my menu planned. Tonight for dinner we will have caesar salad (a very unique version I had at a restaurant last Saturday nite) that I will blog, my green beans and red peppers, linguini with chicken scallopini and date cake. Tomorrow for the family gathering at my sister in law's I am taking shrimp puffs, fried cheese curds (first time making them; I am crossing my fingers that they work), asiago bites, chicken pesto pasta (they insist I bring it each year), pinion (a puerto rican dish I have never made before) and pineapple upside down cake. I have to hit the supermarket big time!

The new way to put the gingerbread houses together, taught to me yesterday by my friend Barb worked out wonderful.


You just take a large shallow pot and put about an 1/2 inch to an inch of plain granulated sugar in it and put it over a medium high flame and cook it until it melts. Then you just dip the sides of the house in it and voila! It sets up immediately. They don't look so good and there are gaps but you cover all that with the royal frosting anyway so it really doesn't matter. You can put together 15 houses in no time at all.
The house kits came with a bag of royal frosting that needed a little help so I took it out of the package
and put it in my kitchenaid and added about a tablespoon of water gradually, beating it constantly until it returned to it's proper consistency.
I bagged them in ziplocks and they are ready to use, with just a snip in the corner to use as a piping bag. The decorating party is this Saturday.

I am off to the store!

1 comment:

Miracles said...

I can't say it too many times... I get so exhausted just reading all that you do. I barely have enough energy left to crawl in bed and rest. Happy Thanksgiving to you and family